One (of 5) computers cannot access the others

FijiJohn

I've got five Windows computers (plus a few other things) on my network. Password protected sharing is off on all. Public folder sharing is turned on. There are shared folders on all five. One computer refuses to allow access to any of the others. It can be accessed by all others. Even a shared printer on one of the others is not accessible. The bad boy can ping all of the others and happily prints to the networked printer and a laser engraver, but it refuses to let me access the other computers. Any ideas (before I give up and re-install a LOT of software)? TIA!
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200720111544.000000+720
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (317 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock Z270 Extreme4, s/n M80-6B021300634
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

FijiJohn

Does anyone know of any other settings or diagnostics? If not, I guess it will be a fresh install after all. :-(

Fireflycph

Morten
What happens if you put this "\\Computer_name" (No quotation marks and substitute Computer_name with either the name or IP of the one you're trying to reach) in your search bar?
Do you get an error? Does it show up? If it does what happens if you click on either shared folders or the shared printer?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you tried just having the same user name and password on ALL machines?

This account does not need to be in use, just fully set up. Then when a password and account is asked for, use this one and all should be forgiven.

This also serves as a back door when one's normal account is clobbered!

FijiJohn

What happens if you put this "\\Computer_name" (No quotation marks and substitute Computer_name with either the name or IP of the one you're trying to reach) in your search bar?
Do you get an error? Does it show up? If it does what happens if you click on either shared folders or the shared printer?
It says ‘cannot connect to...”. I can access the shared printer but I cannot see anything like shared folders on the other computers. It allows no outgoing connections, just incoming.

FijiJohn

Have you tried just having the same user name and password on ALL machines?

This account does not need to be in use, just fully set up. Then when a password and account is asked for, use this one and all should be forgiven.

This also serves as a back door when one's normal account is clobbered!
Only my wife and I have physical access so we do not use any passwords. The account name on the bad boy is the same as two others. I’d try adding another account but I never get to where the login/password is requested. I simply get Cannot connect to that computer, for all outgoing attempts.

FijiJohn

Just to be clear, the bad boy accepts all incoming connections but does not allow outgoing. If I want a file from another computer, I must physically go to that computer and put it on the bad boy.

Fireflycph

Morten
It says ‘cannot connect to...”
Have you checked that all systems are using DHCP and that IP, Subnet and default gateway is all the same?
Run "Ipconfig / all" in a command prompt, no quotation marks and a space after the "g"

Do you have any anti-virus/firewall running on the machine(s) especially the one you're trying to connect to>

Is that printer you can access a network printer or physically attached to another station?
Try to change the Advanced Sharing of a share to add "everyone" and give them full rights full rights

FijiJohn

Have you checked that all systems are using DHCP and that IP, Subnet and default gateway is all the same?
Run "Ipconfig / all" in a command prompt, no quotation marks and a space after the "g"

Do you have any anti-virus/firewall running on the machine(s) especially the one you're trying to connect to>

Is that printer you can access a network printer or physically attached to another station?
Try to change the Advanced Sharing of a share to add "everyone" and give them full rights full rights
Yes, all are on DHCP and on the same net. All can ping each other (so the rest of the settings are okay). All are using only Windows Defender and the MS firewall. The firewall settings match the other machines.
I can only access the network printer' the one shared printer (on another computer) is not reachable from bad boy but is reachable by all of the others. The shared folders are already set to "everyone" but you cannot initiate a connection from the bad boy to any other computer, period.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online