1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One of my components might have failed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElBurro, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

Ok so I got 16gb ram and Amd 8 core processor 2.8ghz I got graphic card AMD Radeon 6670 HD , My power supply is ATX-450W (230V / 5A , 50Hz if it matters). Whenever I play gta 4 on medium-high settings I get like 30 FPS And it even drops to 10 some times and drops are very fluent , in farcry 3 I got like 15-20 fps on medium settings , with my resolution 1680x1050 I always use that resolution, even in minecraft I got 50fps and drops to 30 some times. I don't know why is this happening I should have more FPS or at least it should be fluent... Games are using 700mb (70% of total memory) and I still get FPS drops, I don't really know why is this happening I hope there is someone that can help here. Thank you in advance

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

We need some more information about your system really.

Please use the following to give us information about your system: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

And / or give us the exact make and model of the machines.

What operating system are you usings? Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 etc.

Also, check your temps and voltages using HWMonitor.

Download and install the program (its free), then screenshot it with your PC sat idle at the desktop. Then leaving HWMonitor running start up and run a game for a few minutes. Then exit the game and screenshot HWMonitor again, post the two screenshots in a reply here.

3. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16365 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 307198 MB, Free - 178033 MB; D: Total - 646563 MB, Free - 325393 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-78LMT-S2
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Disabled

[​IMG]

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As quite often the case lately hwmonitor is returning flaky data; your 12V rail could not really be 8V since the system would never post. You have a gigabyte board so go to the support page for your mb and download easytune. Once installed, click on the HW tab and check your temps and voltages.
    Here is the support page for your mb. Note VERY important; there are two different versions of this board. Make sure you download from the correct page. The version # should be silkscreened on the mb itself.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4311#

One other item of note; when I check the cpu support page for either version of your board, it does NOT list the 8120 as a supported cpu. It does list 8100 and that may be a typo.

Remember just because a mb shows support for a given socket ie AM3+ does NOT mean it supports all cpus based on that socket. You must check the support page for your mb.

5. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

Im downloading easytune , Im gonna check the support page

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is on the same page. Did you see a link for cpu support?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I already checked. I checked both versions of that board and neither one lists the 8120. As I said it may be a typo.

8. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

Here is the screenshot [​IMG]

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That looks ok however that was done without a load on the system. I can tell because of the vcore. Run something that will stress the system; I use prime95 [free download] Check both temps and voltages when the cpu is fully loaded.

10. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

Here it is
    [​IMG] the stress was on for like few mins voltage wasnt getting any higher than this

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Everything looks fine except vcore. It should be 1.25V or so and up to 1.35V when under full load. I think this may be from your board not listing the 8120 as a supported cpu.

Best advise would be for you to call gigabyte and ask their support if your board supports that cpu. From the web page, it does not.

12. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

Well hmmm I cant there is no gigabyte support in serbia, and are you sure thats the problem?

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The motherboard only supports 95 watt and lower processors, the FX-8120 is a 125 watt processor; it's not supported on that motherboard. You will need to either purchase a compatible processor or purchase a compatible motherboard.

EDIT: Actually I guess there are two versions of the FX-8120, a 95 watt and a 125 watt version. Download CPU-Z and post a screenshot from it: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

14. ElBurro

ElBurro Thread Starter

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's the unsupported processor you have. Time for an exchange.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083360

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice