One of my files deleted itself.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

emecee69

yesterday night i saved a photoshop .psd file. today morning i woke up and found this file "unopenable" then i found out it said that file space on disk is 0. and when i tried to open it again it says file location not found. then i restarted my pc. and the file location was gone, i tried to find it with the search function and i only found a shortcut file with no source.
i have no idea how this happened. i tried using several loss data recovery programs but found no trance of my file.
i already did a disk check and i recall it mentioned something with photoshop file. but i dont remember the details.
i took 2 screenshot of the file. hope it helps

thanks in advance

Hi. . .

To help see if the files are anywhere on your c: drive, perform the following:

START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe - up top | select Run as Administrator | the command prompt (DOS) screen will appear.

Now, copy/paste the following exactly as it appears (to copy/paste in the DOS box, right-click on the very top/clear area of the box, select Edit, then paste - then hit enter):

dir c:\*.psd /a /s : sortorder e

If the files or a portion of them are there and they have the file extension of PSD, this should find them.

Please let me know how you make out.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

From the Adobe help site:
https://forum.adobe.com/webx/.59b5bc05

emecee69

thankyou verymuch for the replies, as i am very desperate in finding a method of recovery for this file
i tried the

dir c:\*.psd /a /s : sortorder e

and a long list came up, but i did not see the file i lost. is there any other way to recover this?
and i have alot of space left on my drive, about 12 gb

It sounds like there may have been a file system error. You should run chkdsk /f to fix them all, but chances are that running it will destroy anything that may remain of the lost file. You should definitely try recovery programs before running chkdsk, but I wouldn't bet any important money that it will be recoverable at all.

There is also the possibility that the error is more serious than just with the file system. Have you had any other problems that may point to bad clusters on the drive (like corrupted files, lock-ups, unusual error messages that vary, etc.)?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online