1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One of my TWO hard drives is not visible

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kriswrite, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

I recently installed Windows XP Pro onto my computer, and now it only recognizes one of my TWO hard drives. (When I was using Windows 98, both hard drives were visible and accessible.)

Currently, I still have one hard drive using Windows 98, and the other using XP. Both hard drives are partitioned using FAT32. Both drives are also visible with the drive that XP recognizes as my PM, and the drive that XP will NOT recognize, is labeled as PS.

Both drives are visible in the Hardware Manager, however XP failed to assign a letter to the primary slave drive. This is only one of five drives, and XP recognizes the other four.

What can I do to make the second drive visible??

Thanks!

2. mal1930

mal1930

HI, Mine was recognized after I formatted it. Do a search of the forum as this problem occurs repeatedly. Peace Mal

3. kriswrite

kriswrite Thread Starter

Hmmm...I couldn't find anything in a search that applied to my situation. Also, I don't want to reformat my second hard drive, since it has all my backup info on it. (I'd transfer all that to CD-Rs, but the darn puter won't let me because I can't access the second hard drive....)

4. Mahmud603

Mahmud603

The Windows 98 disk needs to be the Primary Master and the XP disk as the Primary Slave.

The earlier OS needs to be installed first and then the later version on a second disk or partition.

Windows 98 will not see the XP drive if the XP is formatted NTFS but the XP drive will see the 98 drive/partition. Since both of your drives are FAT32 this should not be an issue.

I would make the 98 disk the Primary Master, the XP disk the Primary slave, boot to 98, insert the XP CD in the drive and do a repair install of XP on the slave. That will automatically amend the boot.ini file on the root of your 98 (C) drive and give you a dual boot option with the default OS as the XP but that you can change from within XP later if you wished.

It would help in understanding your setup (since you mention 4 drives) if you stated the drive letters and file system of each drive with the OS on each drive e.g.

C: 98 (FAT32)
    D: XP (NTFS)
    E: Data (FAT32)

and so on.
    Presumably you are using a Controller cards to give you the extra EIDE channels. The more information you provide, the better the response from forum readers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice