1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved One Of Those Dumb Questions!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by snickert, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Do printer drivers ever get so old they no longer do what they're designed to do? Just wondering!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    One possibility is if say Microsoft has an update that changes the way Windows interface between an app, like MS-Word, and the driver.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    They should carry on working but if the OS (Windows, Linux, OS-X) changes something relevant to printing with a update then it may be necessary to update the driver.

EDIT : you beat me to it Chuck !

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

snickert
    If the question is of a general interest nature, you have your answer
    However if the question is related to a problem, then it would be far easier if you told us what the problem is, together with the make and full model of the printer and the type of computer on which it is being used - and the OS

AND as you only started this topic
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-10-update-and-no-printer.1229385/#post-9616347
    yesterday and have marked it solved. I am a little confused by your new topic asking
    Do printer drivers get old etc.

as I have a feeling that the question is related to the issue on the Lexmark

If the question is related to the Lexmark8350
    then that printer as you may know is approx. 2009 vintage and there is no driver for 10.
    In fact even the generic Lexmark driver would be unlikely to work

The only chance is a generic windows driver and therein lies the problem.

In short - whenever it works is a bonus on 10.

There is a slight chance that AVAST may cause a problem to the printer

and as an aside issue you would be far better using the included windows defender than Avast on 10.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Only if the OS is no longer supported. I NEVER update printer drivers unless I change the OS.

I have an HP 722 C (1997) attached to an offline XP computer that we still print things on. I have instructions on how to allow it to work in Windows 7 but haven't had a need to use it on any Win 7 computer. We can no longer buy original carts so I buy from a 3rd party.
    I have an HP Deskjet 5550 (2003) that works on Windows 2000, XP, 7 and an old android netbook. I can no longer buy original carts, starting this year, so I also bought carts from a 3rd party company.

These two old printers work so much better than the newer HPs because they don't talk to HP, don't want me to purchase instant ink and annoy me with other messages.

6. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    I usually always have a problem with my printer, which is old, old, old but it still works, after Windows does an update even with Windows 10 except this last update. I'm going to try again getting it to work since I've taken care of the 'spooling' problem!
    Thanx for your reply!:)

7. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Thanx for the reply!

8. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Thanx for the reply!

9. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The problem is as I outlined to you
    There is NO driver offered by Lexmark for that printer for windows 10
    Therefore you are reliant on the generic driver
    Lexmark do not even offer that for windows 10
    The difference between the driver written by Lexmark for a particular Windows OS and the generic driver is that the former will ensure that all aspects of the printer, scanner etc work including t he check ink levels, print configuration and all the other aspects that are normally found on the printer. Whereas the latter the generic driver will generally provide only the basic print and possibly the scan.

The reason you have the problem now is that after windows 10 updates, hardware for which the driver is not recognised will stop working, until you install, again a generic printer driver.

You have not commented whatsoever on my post, but I can most definitely assure you, that using Avast on 10, as with many other third party AV programs, will result in problems, and you would be far better advised to use the included Defender.

Additionally to that there is indeed a slight chance that the printer problems, depending on how the printer is connected and how print commands are sent, may be caused by Avast

10. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Thanx for your reply.

11. snickert

snickert Thread Starter

First Name:
    Kay
    Thanx for your reply.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!