1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

one of two laptops unable to connect to wireless after change in provider

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Anna_Banana, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anna_Banana

Anna_Banana Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

We recently switched from cable internet to Verizon DSL since my roommate moved out and took his equipment with him. I set up the wireless router last week and got my laptop to work on the wireless connection. Now I am unable to get my boyfriend's computer to connect to it, when it never had this issue before with the previous wireless. The first day I had it set up, it said it connected, with an "excellent" connection strength, but then the status was 'unable to connect.' I was on the phone with the Verizon guy, who after doing a screen share, said it was my IP address, and that he couldn't help since it was an issue with my computer and not with the Verizon.

So I tried resetting my IP through the CMD, with no luck. Now it doesn't even let me connect to the wireless at all. I've tried both the Intel PROSet/Wireless and the Microsoft client to connect (this is running Windows XP) and when I click 'repair' on the Microsoft client, it tells me it couldn't be corrected because it could not renew the IP address. The firewall is currently off and I removed the defunct McAfee that was never renewed anyway.

The ipconfig network.txt is as follows:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : devL

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : home

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-E0-6E-FE

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 21, 2013 7:14:29 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:14:29 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-CE-54-59-16

Please let me know if you need any more info and thank you in advance for your help!
    -Anna

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Run the McAfee Removal Tool.

Make sure service pack 3 is installed.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver and Proset utility from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

When trying a wireless utility the other one is not running, right?

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with that see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows 7 or Vista I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Identify your network if it is not obvious.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    TN:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection

Usually this would say Wireless Adapter, no?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not recall what it usually says in XP. And have no XP installed now.

5. arjaytech

arjaytech

is your Verizon DSL is can connect for for 2 or more computers?
    try to check your router configuration and make it sure that your boyfried ip address are allow to connect to your network.

try to reset the modem / router that you are using..

Regards,

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In other words, make sure MAC Address filtering (access control) is disabled (or that all wireless devices desired are allowed).

7. arjaytech

arjaytech

yes, it is the mac address filtering for wifi router :)..

it must be set to disable or add the mac address if you prefer to enable the mac address filtering,,

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The two most common issues are software security and the security settings with the wireless connection. If you temporarily create a unsecured/open network with a different SSID, does it connect to that?

9. Anna_Banana

Thank you guys, sorry about the delayed response.

To answer your questions, TerryNet:
    Run the McAfee Removal Tool. -- check
    Make sure service pack 3 is installed. -- check
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver and Proset utility from the laptop manufacturer's web site. -- I need to double check this, doing that now.
    When trying a wireless utility the other one is not running, right? -- no, only one is running at a time, but I tried both to no avail. Still on the Proset now.

I've attached the requested screenshot, along with one of my verizon IP gateway page, if that helps at all...

arjaytech, I'm pretty sure it is set up so multiple computers can connect, my laptop and phone are currently connected to it. And MAC filtering is disabled.

I just noticed however, that my MAC address under 'network connections' in the gateway is a digit off (the last one) from the one provided on the modem and the one that I see under the listed connections. Is that a problem?

Thanks again everyone!
    Anna

Attached Files:

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The last time I advised the following the thread starter disagreed, and I am still not sure. But ...

I believe that the Intel 2200bg does not support WPA2-PSK AES. Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful then try WPA-PSK TKIP encryption.

11. Anna_Banana

Could I test this with a new virtual AP before doing this to my main wireless connection? Only to keep it from changing what my other laptop is connected to, for now at least.

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not know.

13. Anna_Banana

Well, I just did that, created a new virtual AP and changed it to no security, and this time it actually connected, but it says
    "Signal Strength: Excellent

I've attached the currect Xirrus screenshot.

Also, is there a simple way to tell if the network drivers are up to date? I'm looking at the list here and it looks like the last one if from 2007, which I think is around when he got this computer, but I'm not sure.
    http://downloads.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/inspiron-6000.html#Network

Attached Files:

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The simplest way for me to make sure the correct driver is installed is to install it (again). You could check the version and date in Device Manager, but that can be misleading as version/date from Dell may closely resemble same from Intel.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090523

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice