1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Profile for different domains

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eurodochter, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eurodochter

eurodochter Thread Starter

I need to logon with my notebook on different networks ( domains ) of complete different companies. I'm using dhcp to get the right ip-settings. So far no problem.

With windows 95...ME you logon and you are using 1 desktop. In Windows 2000/XP (NT4??) each user get his own screen saved in the profile directory and is different for each domain.

example: always login as "administrator" gives you as profiles for:

domain: "main" ...\profiles\administrator.main\.....
    domain: "france" ...\profiles\administrator.france\.....

Do you know how to push Windows to take always the same profile path en files for all different domains. I can choose profiles path as c:\.... \profiles\... on my local C drive.

Thanks

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I don't think that it will work right, because on the NT kernal the system uses security ids that will be different for each domain that you log onto. This will preclude the use of a common profile.

The best that you could do in this instance would be to copy all your desktop icons and startup menu to the all users profile on your laptop.

3. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

i'm not really sure, but on each domain you login, it will create a profile for you, if you logon to a different domain. you won't see your profile on your first domain. unless you want to use local profiling,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice