1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

one router, one cable modem and 4 computers to share the connection..cant figure out

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jkirk48, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkirk48

jkirk48 Thread Starter

I need some serious help. I am trying to set up a home network with 4 windows xp computers using one cable modem for the internet connection. I have a dsl/cable router with enough ports I just seem to be getting more confused as I go. Is there a step by step guide for doing this? Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Sponsor

3. jkirk48

jkirk48 Thread Starter

Here is what I have so far. All of the computers are running windows xp. The dsl/cable router and the cable modem are in the attic and there are cable drops througout the house. What I would like to do is have the ability to connect laptops or desktops and get internet access. I was able to connect one computer to the internet through the router, but none of the other computers will connect. What do I do next? Thanks.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What is the Model of your Router? And how do you have it configured. Do you have it setup for DHCP so that your XP boxes get an address. That would be the best way to do it. Are your XP boxes setup to obtain an IP and DNS address automatically.

Lets see the output of Ipconfig /all on all of the boxes.
    Start > Run > cmd > ipconfig /all

Are you sure all your cable runs are good. Did you test that one computer that can connect to all your cable runs? If that is the only box that can connect and all your settings are correct on all the other boxes, you may need to change a setting in your router to clone the mac address of that pc. Most of them do that these days.

5. plejon

plejon

First advice: follow the instructions in the manual that came with your router.

Here's short description of a typical installation:

Connect the cable modem to the cable provided by your ISP or cable company.

On the router, you should have at least 5 network ports.
    - one uplink port that you have to connect from the router to the cable modem
    - 4 lan ports to connect your office pc's.

Your ISP will probably assign you one dynamic IP address. This will be used by the router as his external IP address.

For your home network, you will have to assign your own IP addresses in a private range. Typically, your router will do this for you using it's build-in DHCP server. A common setup would be:
    - router takes IP address 192.168.0.1 as it's internal IP address
    - your 4 pc's take the next addresses in the same range, eg 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3, ...

I attached a picture to make things clearer

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

6. jkirk48

jkirk48 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think I will start from scratch and see what I can do. I wont be going back to the house until 5:30 this afternoon, but I will let you know what happens. One more question though.. What is the best way to set up the connection on the xp computers? Do I need to set up one lan connection and one internet connection on each computer? I think that is how the one computer that is getting internet access is set up. I am not familiar with all of the different wizards on XP.

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You just need a Lan connection. If your router is giving out DHCP addresses all you have to do is make sure each NIC is set to obtain IP and DNS addresses autoamatically. Don't do the Wizard thing.

Go into Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click the Local Area Connection > select properties > select Internet Protocol TCP/IP

Make sure you have Obtain Ip address Automatically checked and Obtain DNS server address automatically checked.

8. plejon

plejon

You only need the lan connection as squashman explained.

The router will recognize which traffic is destined for the internet and send it to the cable modem.

Maybe you're confusing your setup with another one.
    In this alternative setup, you don't use a dedicated router box. Instead, you use a PC with two network cards (one for lan, one for internet) and a software router such as winroute. (see attached picture). The pc + soft acts as the router in your network

Attached Files:

9. Del

Del

I see you mentioned you have cable drops throughout the house, you only need one to the router, after that, it's all ethernet cables (RJ45) from the router to the computers.

10. ii0oo0ooii

ii0oo0ooii

watch how far each cable runs, and how hot it can get in the attic. I did that last summer, and the connection stopped working. the modem and router were like 120 degrees. (its really hot up there) i moved them to my living room behind the tv so they are out of site but cool. just my 2 cents man.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/132212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice