1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One short "beep" and won't load unless only 1 ram stick (moved from Windows 8)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechHeathen, Sep 6, 2019.

1. TechHeathen

TechHeathen Thread Starter

Hello everyone, new here. Hoping to figure out what's going on with my computer.

I have a Dell Alienware Aurora R4

it's been working beautifully since I got it, refurbished from a LAN center last year

Last weekend it randomly restarted while being used, gave a single short "blip" of a beep, and then refused to boot.

I checked google which said it was probably a ram problem, so I went out and bought 4 brand new sticks of 8g RAM, DDR3 like the device likes, pretty red heat sinks, all the fun stuff.

Came home, replaced my old RAM sticks with the new ones, and woohoo, loaded up Beautifully, and I'm happily running my games and art programs, speeding along no problem.

And then last night, it does it again. Blip! Reboot. I play around with the RAM a bit and eventually find that if I only have 1 RAM stick in, in Slot 1 of course, that the computer loads and functions, but slowly since it only has 8g RAM instead of the 32 it's used to.

But if I add any additional RAM sticks, you guessed it - Blip! And refusal to load.

Could this be a motherboard issue? What do you think? Thanks!

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    It sure sounds like a motherboard issue. You may want to try testing the system with another power supply just in case it is a power issue, but my money is on the MB.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Probably one ram slot is dead. Try others.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice