1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Thing Most Men Can't Do!

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by twinofangelize56, Apr 6, 2008.

?

Who is the better grocery shopper?

1. Women are better grocery shoppers than Men!

31.8%
  2. Men are better grocery shoppers than Women!

18.2%
  3. Who cares as long as there is food in the house!

38.6%
  4. Other ~ Please explain if you choose this option!

11.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twinofangelize56

twinofangelize56 Thread Starter

A word of advice to women: Don't send a man to the grocery store.

I read this article on my ISP’s (Netscape) Home Page Link to their Home & Real Estate Section! I thought it was quite interesting and wondered what TSGers thought! So I thought a Poll might be fun! Why not give your opinion on the subject! Let’s see where this goes! After all, we all…. men and women…. have to Grocery shop sooner or later!

This article suggests that many men are now doing the grocery shopping for the family…. but they feel overwhelmed once they walk into the store! Seems grocery stores were designed for women and how women shop! There are tricks that some grocery stores use such as placing cheese next to wine to entice shoppers into buying both! Or they place favorite brand names next to their more profitable store brands hoping the shopper chooses the store brand because it is cheaper but comparable in contents! But tricks like this don’t work so well on men because they are less likely to buy anything off the list!

This article went on to suggest that men never ask for help when they can’t find things! If something on their list isn’t available, they don’t find a substitute!

It also suggests that men focus on convenience rather than price! They get used to buying certain brands and too many choices tend to overwhelm them!

What do you think?

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Yay, I'm the first to vote
    familiarity will breed better shoppers out of men, so the more they do it the more comfort they will develop and the more they will be willing to do it.
    In my case (being a confirmed .... thats confirmed not infirmed ... bachelor) I have learned how to be a good grocery shopper through necessity. I hate shopping (mainly because of all the "women" that treat it as a reason to socialize), I want to get in and get out, be done with it as quick as possible. So I go with a list in hand, straight to the items on the list, no browsing (other than minor comparative shopping), then to the checkout with ONLY items from the list. Here I choose not the shortest line, I look at who's in the line and more importantly the gender of the checkout person (I'll give you this one .... guys suck at ringing orders through, why is it always the male cashiers that are so slow?)

edit - there are more tricks used than people realize, milk and eggs are always at the back. Why? Because they are popular items so the store forces you to walk past everything else to get to it. Produce and meat are always on opposite sides, people usually get some of both so again ... you're forced to walk through the entire store. Low cost impulse items are always beside the checkouts, you stand staring at them waiting in line and eventually decide what the hell its only a few cents anyway

The reason we never ask for help is ..... we stop talking long enough to notice the signs that tell us what is in each aisle :rolleyes: :p

3. twinofangelize56

Okay.... I finally voted for my own poll! I had to really think about it!

I thought at first that Men were the better grocery shoppers! I based that on the men I know who were given lists when they had to shop out of necessity... and those men stuck to the list like glue! They didn't cave into pressure to buy the kids (yes... some took the kids with them too!) all the things kids seem to want that are not on a list when grocery shopping! Women tend to cave in, if it will shut the little darling up when voice volume rises along with demands!

But... I think Women are the better grocery shoppers! Women tend to take more time to comparison shop. Women aren't afraid to try a different brand or even the store brand! Hey! If you try it once and absolutely detest it.... you don't buy it again! Right?!

Also.... If Women see an unadvertised special on something... they are willing to change the menu (the list) to accommodate the savings!

4. hotskates

hotskates

twinofangelize56..........define "better" ;)...................Then I'll vote!!

Your questions is a great one. One time last year I sent my husband to the store when I was not feeling well and I gave him a list with only 5 things on it........he came back with 10 things. Why he bought two of everything I'll never know:rolleyes: I can only guess that he didn't want to have to go again in a couple of days if I wasn't feeling better or if there was a sale on those 5 things or if he thinks I shop like that:p

5. gordon russell

gordon russell

Hi you 2 up there .
    Men are still conditioned - as we are ALL still conditioned to some extent - to 'view' grocery shopping as 'womens' work '........... a strong remnant from or tribal-past eras . When I am in the mood-which is sometimes very often , I love shopping for food; in big supermarkets to small grocery stores , I enjoy having a good perusal. I follow a vegan diet and love chemistry, e numbers , ingredients - again , when I am in the mood - so can amuse myself for 'x' amount of time , but if I am not in the mood OR stuck for time , I am in and out of the shop pronto.
    In my experience , women are far better at the grocery shopping caper ; more efficient and proficient .

6. twinofangelize56

Now that's funny about your husband's shopping! :p When mine had to do the shopping... and I mean HAD to (I had just given birth to our child(ren)--all two times!!!-- and was just home from the hospital!).... he got everything on the list and not one thing more! If they were out of something... he found an alternative that actually worked out!

Well.... regarding defining 'better'.... I would say it depends! Overall..... when with list in hand and basket in front of you..... distractions everywhere (signs for sales, kids (yours or other's) crying or yelling or just clamoring for attention, other shoppers that think they are the only shoppers on the isle, items you really wanted that were on sale but nowhere to be found, etc.!).... decide who you feel actually arrives home intact with most everything on their list and hardly anything more... and didn't break the bank.... pull out their hair.... scream at someone.... and actually had a good experience when all was said and done! :D

Does that help? ;)

7. Bastiat

Bastiat

Just got back from the grocery store. :D I go because the chick behind the deli counter is SMOKING HOT! ;)

In all seriousness (even if this is Radumb), my wife and I go to the grocery store together all the time. These generalizations only go as far as generalizations.

8. hotskates

hotskates

Now after your very vivid description..... I'm imagining my husband with shopping cart road rage :eek:

Oh Yeah!....choice #1 for me:)

9. twinofangelize56

Hiya, Gordon! :)

As much as I hate to say it.... I think you are right..... Grocery shopping is considered to be for women! I do it for my family..... my daughter does it for her family... my mom did it for her family.... her mom..... Well... you get the idea! :D

When I see men grocery shopping it is usually with a woman. If they are alone.... I figure they are single, or the significant other is busy-ill-breadwinner, or.... they actually enjoy shopping whether attached or not! :)

I find it particularly enjoyable when I see a man with children doing the grocery shopping! Lots of 'I can't believe they said that' conversation going on at times! I just smile! :p

10. Bastiat

Bastiat

You are a sexist pig! ;) I going to the store by myself a lot. I think it depends to an extent on where you live. I'm in a two career couples area, real go getter types so the women are working as much as the men. I see a lot of guys at the store, its a great place for setting up poker games. :D

11. hotskates

hotskates

Well that is a great reason to keep my husband out of the grocery store :eek: Do you he (my husband) would ever imagine that there may be a hunky man behind the meat counter flirting with me every time I go to the grocery store......:confused:

12. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I was single for many a year and on a low income so I had no choice but to grocery shop frugally. I am also a decent cook so I knew exactly what I wanted. I am a typical male shopper. No browser I! I would target the ingrediants I wanted for the week took the best I could find. I also knew exactly how much I could eat and prepared a meal accordingly. Therefore I rarely had any leftovers and never threw unused food out because there wasn't any.

I think the article is kind of sexist in a way. I don't think we can divide buying habits by gender. I've known many a woman that have no clue how to shop properly or cook. I've known an equal amount of men in the same situation.

13. twinofangelize56

I do tend to believe you here! ;)

True that! Years ago... BK (Before Kids).. my husband and I would always shop together! It was so romantic.... Holding hands..... Looking into each other's eyes.... Both pushing the basket.... Me to he: "Do you want eggs, honey?" He to me: "Yes, Sweetheart! Do you want this package of chicken?" Me to He: "Yes, Pookeykins!" True story! :D

Then..... AK (After Kids)! He to me: "Grocery shop!?! With a baby?! Are you out of your mind?! I'll go! You stay here with junior! Yes.... I'm sure I can manage! No no.... I'll go! Why is the baby turning red and what in God's name is that smell?!!!!" :p

Been grocery shopping on my own now for years! Even after the kids were grown! :rolleyes:

14. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

I love sending Gene to the grocery store when I want to test new things, or eat like royalty:p:p.

He is so good at splurging and buying the wildest stuff. He'll spend $20 on artichokes, buy Filet Mignon without batting an eye, real cream:eek:for my coffee, duck (just kiddin', but he would if they had any), fancy pastas ($6 for a box is fancy), organic eggs, veggies even I never heard of....and then a rotiserrie chicken because shopping got him tired, and he doesn't want me to cook:p:p

15. Gabriel

Gabriel Account Closed

Yes, he is a much better shopper than me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!