1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One Way Network?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jxik, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jxik

jxik Thread Starter

I paid a pro to install home network. Desktop WIN98, Laptop WIN98SE. Using 2WIRE network card & home portal. The problem I am having (and so did the "pro") When I view my home network thru the 2WIRE site...My laptop "sees" the desktop, but the desktop does not "see" the laptop.

The pro went nuts because he set it up & it would work fine, but then, one computer would fail to see the other. The settings did not seem to stick. He reset everything over a few times...same thing. He gave up & told me to contact 2WIRE support. I did. They said as long as both computers could get online, it had nothing to do with them,-- it was a windows thing.

I can print from my laptop, and see shared files, all functions ok. But the desktop says the laptop in not on the network. Computer names, workgroups, all match. File sharing is checked on everything in the desktop. Any suggestions, what to look for?

2. jtatsud

jtatsud

Some questions about your setup...

1) What is the make/model of the 2Wire device that you are using? 2Wire makes some pretty "strange" devices.

2) How are your computers connected to the 2Wire device?

3) Is the desktop always the one with the problem? Or did the laptop sometimes have the same problem when the "pro" was there.

3. jxik

jxik Thread Starter

1) 2WIRE Home Portal 1000hw. 2WIRE wireless home network
    pc card in the laptop. To get more specific I'll have to pull it out.
    I hope thats what you're looking for.

2) It is not the usb connection, its the other one. (duh) I have SBC broadband.

3) They take turns laughing at me.

4. jtatsud

jtatsud

From your answers below, I'm assuming that the desktop is connected via a wired Ethernet adapter, and the laptop is connected via a wireless adapter.

If this is true, then you might be having a Master Browser problem with the laptop. Wireless devices can have issues with the Master Browser. You should try turning this function off on your laptop. To do this:

Go to Control Panel --> Network. Highlight the "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" item and click on Properties. The Browse Master item is probably set to Automatic. Change this to Disabled. Reboot the router, the desktop, and the laptop in that order.

You may need to wait a few minutes after all systems are connected, but hopefully, the desktop and laptop can now "see" each other.

5. jxik

jxik Thread Starter

Your description of my connections are right on. I will try to show my browser whose master tomorrow--asap.

Again, I got on the 2WIRE:view home network. Laptop not seeing desktop. About an hour later the laptop sees the desktop, shared files and printer. I have been looking at the "map network drive" it stays the same on the desktop as drive e:, but the laptop has gone from e: (doesn't see desktop), to F: (sees desktop), it is now d: (sees desktop). However, my d: drive was my dvd/cd drive when my laptop was docked! Thru the course of the evening I undocked, now it looks like it snatched the d: drive. Is this fickle "map network drive" the culprit?

6. jtatsud

jtatsud

It may be part of the problem. However, I'm not sure that I understand what you are describing.

If I understand your problem correctly, you can always try to map the network drive to a drive letter that won't keep changing. When you map the drive, choose Z or X.

7. jxik

jxik Thread Starter

When I right click on the network neighborhood icon on my desktop, the drop down menu shows one of the selections as "map network drive". The only reason why I ever even thought to click on it, was because there was a thread awhile back, something about a map network drive not staying set. But I'm pretty sure it was a much larger workplace type enviroment.

I followed your instructions to disable the master browser. It didn't work. I tried changing the map network drive to Z, and the laptop could see the desktop, but when I tried a test print, I got an error, saying the printer was not accessable, computer name or share name is not correct.

I closed out of the home network site, and right clicked back on the network neighborhood icon, to see the map network drive, and it had changed back to D.
    (master browser still disabled) It just won't stay set. Back and forth, one time they will see each other and I CAN print, and I will shut down & come back and it won't work.

8. jtatsud

jtatsud

Ok, do you have SBC (or SBC Yahoo) as your ISP? If so, did the pro install a bunch of SBC related software on your PC's to get connected to SBC? If so, you can delete ALL this software. The software is only necessary to get your connection registered with SBC, and since your 2Wire modem/router is now keeping the PPPoE logon info, you don't need the software any more. In my experience, this software can create strange connectivity issues. It also has what some people (myself included) consider spyware.

Also, do you have the latest Windows updates installed on your systems - especially the Win98 desktop?

As for the Map Network Drive, try this method instead: Open Windows Explorer. Click on Tools. Select Map Network Drive. Map the drive choosing the Z drive. Make sure that the Reconnect at Logon box is checked.

Finally, how did you add the remote printer to the laptop? Did you go to the Printers folder and select Add Printer? Or some other method?

9. jxik

jxik Thread Starter

I have SBC yahoo. He did NOT install all of software with it b/c he said I didn't need all the junk that comes with it. However, Explorer being my default browser on both computers drove everybody nuts with pop ups. I installed the sbc-yahoo as our default browser because of the pop-up blocker built in. I downloaded freeware WIN Patrol 7, that alerts me if my homepage is trying to change, or if programs are trying to get in my system at start-up. Since being in sbc-yahoo...no trouble. When I had Explorer as default browser, I was constantly being alerted. FYI (I have mcafee on desktop & norton on laptop)

As for updates on both computers, my "pro" did updates on both when he cleaned them out, added memory, and installed network.

I will try to map network from Explorer when I get home.

The printer: The "pro" did the initial set-up, so I don't know. But...during all this going back & forth. When I tried to print form laptop, I was told that the printer was not installed on my (laptop) computer--do I want to install now? I chose yes, and was taken to the wizard. Subsequently, I have Epson & Epson copy2!!!!! Just to try it simple...I chose printer copy2 as my default, but it didn't make a difference. On and off, no matter what I do.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice