1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

One website is killing my internet every time I visit!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by zevzamzi, Oct 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. zevzamzi

zevzamzi Thread Starter

Every time I've visited the website Kotaku.com for the past 3 weeks, the same thing happens: For 10 seconds the website will work fine, but then the images will start fail to load and then my internet connection will just come to a screeching halt. Not disconnect, just stop working for 5 minutes.

If I accidentally click on the link to Kotaku in my book marks and then exit out or close the window really fast, it doesn't matter, the process is started and I'm stuck waiting for things to start up again. The weird thing is that if I stay on the website for the 5 min, eventually it starts working again and if I scroll down and go to the next page, it continues to work like normal.

This is the only website this happens on!

I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. It seems like I'm the only one this is happening to since I'm not seeing anyone else complaining about it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What version of Windows are you running ? What browser ?

I tried going to Kotaku.com and was re-directed to kotaku.co.uk (I am in the UK) - where do you live and what website do you end up at ?

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Works fine for me as well....I'm in the US and no redirection. I've been on it for 5 minutes now....the only thing that's buggy for me is the slide bar on the right. When using my scroll wheel the up and down works just fine. When using mouse pointer and sliding up/down skips and lags. Other than that site works fine.

4. zevzamzi

zevzamzi Thread Starter

I'm in the US, I'm using the newest version of Crome and Windows 10.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Uninstall chrome and reinstall it.

6. zevzamzi

zevzamzi Thread Starter

Before I do that, I have one more thing to bring up: Just now, on a lark, I disabled my adguard on the website and it ran just fine! Then I turned it back on and refreshed and its still running fine and loading images fast but I'm suspicious this is only temporary. Kotaku is owned by Gawker and when I went over to the AV club the same thing happened again! What could the deal be?

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What extensions are you using in chrome? I use ABP and Ghostery and it worked fine.

Do you have any folders in the bookmark bar in chrome? Do you use chrome signed in?

8. zevzamzi

zevzamzi Thread Starter

Subscriptions Grid for Youtube, tamper monkey, veiw image, popup blocker, adguard. Yeah I've got bookmarks folders and I used chrome signed in.

9. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Some sort of corruption could be embedded in one of those folders in a particular site. Or Chrome itself has been corrupted or hijacked, which is why I suggested uninstalling it and reinstalling it.

Are you signed into chrome for syncing. I don't use sync at all and only sign in when I have to. But I manage that in the settings.

10. zevzamzi

zevzamzi Thread Starter

Well I am baffled, all I did was turn off adguard, let the front page load its ads, then turn adguard back on yesterday, today Kotaku has been running just fine. I guess its fixed?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try using firefox to make sure it's the browser/extensions that is causing it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice