Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

One wireless, one Ethernet, can I use both?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a PC with wireless connection to the Internet (PCI wireless card). Is it somehow possible to use the Ethernet port (NIC) to PROVIDE network access to a device? (such as a D-Link internet camera with ethernet connection).

Thanks for your help!

Johnathon

#3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the reply... however the PC is not connected to a router, except via the wireless connection on the PCI wireless cared. The Ethernet port, on the same PC is what I am trying to connect to the Ethernet camera.

I can go from the PC Ethernet port to a router/switch, then to the camera if you think that would work?

J

#4 ·
Yes it should work. I am running a WiFi network and a Wired network right now. Although they are on different internet connections entirely.

You may be able to just plug the camera into the router then find it from the WiFi network by IP address. Wish I could help further but I'm not familiar with how camera's interface in a network.

#6 ·
You can bridge the wired and wireless connections, which will provide a more seamless conneciton in your scenario.

I agree with the others that connecting the camera directly to the router is best, but bridging the connections will get the job done.

#8 ·
Yes, I'd like to know how the bridge works. I have a similar setup. I have a laptop getting a wireless internet signal from the hotel next door (they gave me permission). I have a 50' Ethernet cable going from the NIC on the laptop to a router. My PC is also connected to the router. I set up a LAN between my PC and my laptop, and I am able to get the internet connection through my laptop, into the router, and on the PC. That is all cool. What is not cool is that I cannot share files or printers between the two computers (Iaptop and PC). I was told to bridge the wireless internet connection with my local area connection. I went to Control Panel and Network Connections, and highlighted those two connections, and then selected "Bridge Connections". When I did this, the wireless connection became Not Connected, so that's where the experiment ended. I tried this multiple times, with the same result. What am I doing wrong? The same person that told me to do this also told me to disable DHCP on the router, but when I did this I also lost my internet connection. The funny thing is, at one point I WAS able to share files and printers on this LAN; I just don't remember what I did to make that happen. Can anybody help me with this? I've already got the internet connection; I just want to be able to share files and printers between these two computers. By the way, I do have ICS enabled on this LAN, but they still won't share the printer and files.

#9 ·
That is, how do you bridge the ethernet and wireless connections?
ahaywoode, turns out that was answered by crispastap:

... Control Panel and Network Connections, and highlighted those two connections, and then selected "Bridge Connections".
There are mistakes that can be made and bugs that can be encountered, so for anybody other than jjohnson13 to get further help with your own problem(s) please start your own thread.

#10 ·
To bridge connections, you simply open Network Connections, and select the first connection, then hold Ctrl and select the second connection that you want to bridge to it. Now, right click on the selected connections and choose Bridge Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.