1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ongoing Vista Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ableman42, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ableman42

ableman42 Thread Starter

I received a very early copy of Vista as a beta tester. Short answer, it never worked completely and I switched to using my laptop as my main computer. The laptop recently died.... so I need to go back to my desktop.

I can't download updates and recently I couldn't even use Windows Update.

A few questions.

1) If you think there are good answers now please, fire away.
    2) Frankly I'm ready to just get a newer more updated version of Vista. What version would I get? --upgrade or whole new version? It would be reallllly great if I could do this without having to reformat my harddrive.

(FYI I just went to check windows update again and got error 80096004-- this is the error I have been receiving forever, despite numerous emails with microsoft "help")
    Sean

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    The error is related to out of date certificates. As all the betas are now time expired, it is probable that the error is coming up due to that.
    Some updates would include that error for any beta you are now using.
    What version should you get. Well, one of the retail versions. The various releases include slightly different facilities. If you want the whole monty then, of course, Ultimate. But Home premium seems to satisfy most users.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

And if you were running a pre-release beta, you do want to reformat and reinstall.

4. ableman42

ableman42 Thread Starter

If I install a full version do I need to get an upgrade or the full version? I would reallllly, reallllly prefer to not have to reformat.

On a related question, can I download the vista or do I need to go buy it in person?

Sean

5. davehc

First Name:
    David
    You cannot upgrade a Beta so I am afraid it is a full install. During the install, if you choose not to format at the start,) all your data will be saved into a new folder called Windows.old.
    I have read that NOT reformatting before installling a new OS, leads to problems. I have done it scores of times without such.
    You need to go and buy it. Only suggestion is that 1. You can google and look for offers or 2: Look at the online auctions,. You can sometimes pick up a good one there.

6. ableman42

ableman42 Thread Starter

Ok, so unless I hear differently here is what I will do...

Buy Vista Home Premium...Backup data...
    Boot from CD... Choose formatting option.. format CD... spend a day re-installing!

Right?

Sean

7. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Better if you format the HD -lol. And your last comment.Surprise in store for you - it only takes about half an hour to install Vista to a working desktop!

8. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

First, Vista will do the formatting for you during the install, you don't have to do it yourself.

Second, Vista comes on a DVD, there are no CD versions.

Third, Vista install takes about 30 minutes, depending on your system. If you don't get a Service Pack 1 version, add another hour for the updates (plus 4 reboots).

Finally, block out the whole day. Although Vista won't take the whole day to install, the rest of the day will be used to install your software, and configure Vista the way you want.

One note of warning: If you are going to be installing games, especially those that require you to run as administrator, do not install them in the Program Files folder. Install them in a folder of their own under the root. They will actually run much faster there.

Courtney

9. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Woa. No way does Vista automatically format during the install, if that is your meaning. It is an option near the start of the install

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Of course. Remember, from the moment you put the disk in, that's part of the install. Note that, if he purchases the full version of Vista, not the upgrade, he will not have a choice.

Also note that you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. (He will have to Google as to how.) And, if you own a previous version of Windows, it isn't illegal either.

Courtney

11. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Of course. Remember, from the moment you put the disk in, that's part of the install. Note that, if he purchases the full version of Vista, not the upgrade, he will not have a choice.

Also note that you can do a clean install with an upgrade disk. (He will have to Google as to how.) And, if you own a previous version of Windows, it isn't illegal either.

Courtney

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice