1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online backup comment's

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bigbear, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bigbear

bigbear Thread Starter

Hi
    Our firm is looking into online backup, because we work in a potential fire risk business my boss is worried that if we had a fire we would loose everything.
    I was wondering if anybody had any views, comments about this way of backing up valuable data.

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

Well besides an online backup, you can always just do a tape backup and take the tapes with you. It's cheaper and faster to do. You could always invest in a fireproof safe also to keep tapes in. If you do go this route make sure you get one that is fireproof for "media" a standard fireproof safe will only protect documents. You can get a small one for less than a grand.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can also use a USB disk to do the backups, much more convenient than a tape. I have a number of clients that use the USB drive and simply stick it in their briefcase when they leave the office.

I keep critical files backed up on DVD's in my car, and I also have an NAS (Network Attached Storage) box in my basement in a cinder block box (hopefully fireproof enough for a disaster) that gets automated backups every day for all my critical data. I figure it's a lot safer there than up in my offices.

4. hannahjace

hannahjace

If you people are so serious about your critical data and your boss do not mind spending a bit, then I would suggest your company to opt for this online backup service.

The data centers where the data resides is protected with wide range of security features like smoke detection systems, fire suppression systems, motion sensors, video camera surveillance and security breach alarms.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Depending on the amount of data on-line backup can be impractical for many/most folks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice