1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online Backup/Recovery Tool?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by truly12345, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. truly12345

truly12345 Thread Starter

I'm looking for a free online backup and recovery tool that will enable me to a) backup my files remotely AND b) recovery of my hard drive if it fails by storing the backup on my ISP. It should offer encryption / password protection at the remote site. One caveat: I'm not sure if there is a difference between a backup program that simply backs up your files and a recovery program that recovers your system. Maybe I need 2 separate programs? I have several names so far like Syncback, Parragon, and Clonezilla, but I'm not sure if they each do both these things. Thanks for letting me know.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you want to back up your files to your ISP, does that mean your ISP provides data storage? If so, is it enough to back up everything you want? What file transfer methods do they support? FTP? Network drive mapping?

What do you mean by a recovery program? Do you want it to be able to restore the files to the locations they were backed up from? Or are you looking for some type of imaging program that restores an entire system?

Syncback and Clonezilla are two completely different programs that provide entirely different functions. Syncback synchronizes files in multiple locations. Clonezilla makes an exact copy of a hard drive or a partition. I don't know of any online backup program that creates an image to an offsite location. You'd have to create the image and then copy it some place and perform the reverse to restore it.

3. nebuchadnezzer2

nebuchadnezzer2

if you want to store everything online check out carbonite online backup
    or i think carbonite backup.

4. truly12345

Yes, my ISP does allow storage space, although I don't know how "secure" it is. I use a non-public folder and an FTP program to send My Documents from my local hard drive (zipped up and password protected) to my ISP. This is okay to back up files, but I realized recently that if my hard drive fails, I should probably have another program, too.

Someone suggested an external hard drive and Parragon. But seems it would be be "physically" in the same place, so in the event of a fire....

Also, I'm not sure about online backup services like Mozy because I don't know how secure they are.

I am open to suggested solution(s).

Thanks!

5. nebuchadnezzer2

nebuchadnezzer2

^ check that out.

6. truly12345

One additional thing...FTP'ing individual files takes time, so a way of automating the process would be another desirable feature. I've only tried Syncback so far for as a way of activating a specified backup on a regular basis.

7. Hughv

Hughv

How much data is involved?
    MS Sky Drive offers 25 GB of free storage, and Google has Picasa Web Gallery.
    and Google Docs.These are basically manual, and limited, but I use them for my essential data.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/905150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice