1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online Backup software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MikeStevens, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeStevens

MikeStevens Thread Starter

Does anyone have opinions about online backup software, eg Voxy, Carbonite, BT Vault etc? I'm interested in unlimited storage, not particularly a free option.

Thanks in advance of any help.

Mike

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unlimited storage is certainly a sticking point. I'm currently running Carbonite, but backing up more than a few gigabytes would be very problematic with any of these services. Read the fine print about recovery of the data in the event of a crash, and the bandwidth limitations. :)

3. MikeStevens

Can you explain what you mean by "problematical". Also why should "more than a few gigabytes" be a problem. Mozy uses the term "unlimited" for their subscription service. Do you think that it is not unlimited"?

Thank you for your help.

Mike

4. JohnWill

Take 50 gigabytes (just to pick a number), and the typical ISP upload speed of 768kbit/sec, which translates into roughly 90kbyte/sec of upload speed. My calculations indicate it would take over a week at full throughput to upload that 50gigabytes. Is that really practical?

Note that I've assumed that you do nothing else with your Internet connection, and that you also get maximum throughput all of the time. Neither assumption is actually realistic in real life.

5. MikeStevens

JohnWill

Thanks for doing the arithmetic. You've shown me that my plan is a "no go"

Mike

6. JohnWill

I thought you'd see the light. :D

7. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

The best free and safest if Xdrive.com. It offers 5 GB of free storage.

Good Luck!

8. MikeStevens

Thanks EnfoToad. I'll try it.

Mike

9. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

Agreed. XDrive is one of the most popular and it's been around for a while. Another option you may want to think about is Dell's DataSafe. Although it is relatively new, it is Dell. And given that the pricing is per year and not per month, is another attractive aspect.

Cheers.

10. JohnWill

XDrive is associated with AOL, enough reason for me to avoid it. ;)

11. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

Normally, I would agree with this comment, however, that was over two years ago when AOL aquired XDrive, and even though that has happened, XDrive is still considered as one of the best on-line backup/archiving solutions.

But I do share the same discontent with AOL.

Besides, when we're talking about large amounts of data, rather than going with an on-line solution, there are plenty of enclosed/external/hardware based solutions out there at affordable prices. Buffalo Technologies and Western Digital are just a couple of examples. And with mirroring capabilities, that's sufficient for most home/home office/small business users.

Cheers!

12. JohnQT

JohnQT

Here is my experience with 2 online backup services -
    Nothing but problems with Dell :mad: backup 'sucessful' but files can't be restored;
    Switched to Mozy, which works well.

I purchased a new Dell PC, and it included a one year, 10G subscription to the Dell DataSafe online backup service. I performed a backup 9.5G, and the client reported that the backup was sucessful. I need to backup 29GB of files, so I purchased the upgrade for a total of 30GB storage.

This is when the problems started. I never received the email with instructions about how to activate the upgrade. I called tech support. They promised to research it and call back in 48 hours. A week passed with no call back. I called again, and had the same experience of a promise of an answer, but then no reply. I escalated the ticket, but then got no answer for a third time. This went on for a month. Finally, I was able to get a reply using the "Unresolved issues" link on their web site. The activation of the upgrade was very simple, but it appears that few at Dell knew the answer.

The online account now showed the upgrade, but the local client did not. I could not find any way to fix this except to re-install the client.

Six weeks later, I was finally able to backup using the upgrade. The tool reported that the backup finished sucessfully, with 19,000 files backed up using 29 GB. Just to be safe, I attempted a restore of selected files using the client. The client reported that the files were restored sucessfully. Directories were created in the restore area, but no files were actually restored despite the log entry that indicated that the files were restored. I tried the online account. I was not able to list any files or directories from the backup, and sometimes I get a server error.

I discussed this with Dell. The Dell technician was sympathic but he pointed out that this tool is sold without any warranty, so Dell does not provide technical support. It is true that the fine print indicates that there is no warranty, but I never dreamed that they would sell a product that does not work and then refuse to provide help getting it to work.

This really tarnishes the Dell reputation. Dell was happy to provide a refund, but I would prefer help getting the product to work!

I switched to the Mozy online back-up service. It is similar to Dell's except that the interface is better designed, and it actually works! An example of why it is better is a search capability in the file and directory list, which Dell does not have.

13. JohnQT

JohnQT

My experience with 2 online backup services was that the upload speed was only a problem on the first backup. Yes, it did take a week or so for the initial upload. The following backups, which I run weekly, are incremental and run in a few hours. As such, I doubt that I would get into trouble with my ISP for using up too much bandwidth.

14. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You blinded me with science!

15. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

Hey, I am back! I was looking at some of them online but they aren't that great. Another good one someone said is Mozy. I tried it and it was great. Really think you should give it a try. It is $4.95 a month with unlimited online storage. You're probably not going to use 50GB so forget what JohnWill said even though he is one of my friends on Tech Guy. There are many others that you can use if you search Google or Yahoo but I personally wouldn't trust them. So lets review that Xdrive is free but only gives you 5GB and Mozy is $4.95 a month and is unlimited.
    If none of this seems right to you or you want to see what other people say check out this Cnet Forum on Online Backup

Good Luck! (y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/585642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice