1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online Backup

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by daxrod, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I recently started having trouble with my hard drive and the need for backing up everything on my computer has become evident. If anyone has some advice on how to do this, I would appreciate it. I want to know things such as the best free online storage site out there, and how to set it up. Also, I would like to know how to set up automatic backups on XP. Thanks.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. daxrod

daxrod Thread Starter

I have an external drive, but what happens if that fails as well bc my external is always connected to my comp. Also, how do I make an image, and is there a way to do that regularly so that a lot of time doesnt lapse w/out backing up?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The chances that both your system drive and the external drive will fail at the same time are certainly much smaller than that either one will fail alone.

As an example, I use Acronis True Image (the pay version of Home). Internally the machine has 4 drives amounting to about 500 GB's of storage. I have Acronis scheduled to make an image of each drive weekly, and twice a week for the system drive. The compressed images are only 250 GB's all together, so the external is plenty large enough. In the case of a disk failure or a viral infection that cannot be cleaned, I only need to boot up the machine with the Acronis recovery CD and reimpose one of the images to the drive. It all takes less than 20 minutes.

In addition, since the image serves as a backup for everything, a file I mistakenly deleted was easily retrieved by mounting the image as a drive and copying it from an image from last week to the current installation. So no other backup is needed.

The free ones I linked above work fine, but for scheduling, you may need a pay version. Incremental backups act like restore points in a way. One large backup is first made, and then at intervals, you can make the incrementals (much smaller and faster) that only back up the changes made to the original. When you are ready to restore, you will have the options of several dates to restore to.

It is also a good idea to make an image of the installation right after you get it set up the way you want and copy it to DVD. Acronis can also be added to the DVD so that you can restore by booting from the resulting recovery DVD and loading the image that it contains (though it will take more than one DVD for most systems). DVD backups take quite a bit longer to make than HD backups, and you need to change media, of course, but they add another layer of backup and can be stored off-site for added safety.

I have nothing against online backups, but they do take a long time and it seems many of those companies disappear all too often for comfort.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The chance of physical failure for both drives is small, but the risk of data loss due to fire, theft, or natural disaster is high if both the primary copy and the backup are sitting right next to each other in the same place.

Online backup or storage services are good choices for a secondary backup of critical data.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

"Critical Data" is best backed up multiple times, too, online or to other locations. But as mentioned, only off-site backups are safe from problems at the machine's location.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/833306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice