1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online data storage back up

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by lschul, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have an external hard drive but its kind of a pain and the software (Iomega) is quirky. I am looking in to something online, enveloc is too expensive, carbonite is $50 a year but I see there are other ones like mozy that are cheap too, are there any that are free that provide over 10 GB or so of space? provide back up for two computers?

2. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Additionally, one thing I didn't like about carbonite was that I was not sure if I could access the files or just restore the data. Some of the others look like you can go online remotely.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I personally would stick with your external hard drive and use some different software. Cobain Backup is pretty darn good and free. And if you want a full image backup of your hard drive you can use Acronis True Image which is very inexpensive.

4. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I was using my external and just going through my computer but I kind of like how the iomega software is supposed to work...I also like the online option because of breakage, fire for example, or simply being on the road. Can you use Cobain as a program on the computer with the external HD I have?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

So basically if you have a drive letter in My Computer it will backup to it.

6. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Nice, thanks. So with Cobian, can you use it to browse files? It looked like you could do that on acronis. Acronis looks like a good one, but then again you pay for it. I like the Outlook Back up function.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  8. smbd

smbd

I quite agree with Noyb. lschul, if you have an external hard drive why don't you want to use True Image??? Especially since it costs 30$.

9. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Yah, I was just trying to get a sense for how others feel. I am on the road a lot and thought it might be useful to have the internet version but maybe the subscription is not worth it. $30 - cheaper than their price on line, I may try the trial. THANKS

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yea .. Though I browse thru the Valley of the Shadow of Death .. I will fear no Evil …
    For I have my External and Acroins with me.

11. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

Nice. I am downloading the trial software, if I get the actual product (cheaper) can I just install over or do I need to do a fresh install? Or is the upgrade cheaper?

12. Stephen47

Stephen47

When did Acronis lower the price? I paid $50 a few months ago.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can access restore your files from Carbonite either selectively or totally. You can also restore to a different disk and path.

I don't think it's suited as your only backup option, but for real-time backup of critical files, it's another tool in the toolbox. I have it backing up around 2gigs, and it's transparent to me. It also helped me recover up to the minute when one of my RAID-0 Raptors bit the dust a couple of weeks back.

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Just do a fresh install .. I think the recovery files are still good.

Acronis didn't lower their price .. But Newegg did.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...nis+true&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

15. lschul

lschul Thread Starter

I have been doing my initial back up for a few hours, I don't notice any decrease in anything...Now when it is done, what is the best way to set the program up? I haven't read up on it too much yet. Thanks.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice