1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online Gaming and lagging

Discussion in 'Games' started by jkill, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkill

jkill Thread Starter

I have gotten Direcway satellite internet. It is incredibly fast at downloading but sucks at online gaming. I found out that the reason is that satellite is slow at transmitting packets of some sort. I wondered if there is any way to tweak it, such as a utility or some sort, so that it could be just a little faster so I can frag on....

2. jkill

jkill Thread Starter

btw...
    my specs on my computer:
    1.8 Ghz P4
    32 Mb Graphics card
    512 Mb memory
    80 Gb hard drive
    Windows XP

thx again...

3. McTimson

McTimson

There might be some ways to help, go here for more info.

4. crossgrain

crossgrain

I'm not trying to be a butt, but satellite isn't really the best solution for online gaming. DSL and Cable are far superior both in terms of latency and upload speed (cable not so much on the uploads - mine, for example, is 3Mbit down, 256kbit up but still pings under 100ms on many many many UT2k4 servers - even some European ones). Do the tweaks on that site McTimson mentioned, but don't expect to be pinging under 100ms with your current connection.

:/

5. flyeater

flyeater

crossgrain I doubt jkill has the option of DSL or cable.

6. jkill

jkill Thread Starter

thx for the help

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223044

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice