1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online gaming connection problem

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cripp0, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cripp0

Cripp0 Thread Starter

Oct 27, 2011
    Currently I am living in University halls, this means my internet connection is connected to a huge area network. I quite enjoy doing some online gaming if I am not with friends or not working or whatever, it's a good way for me to relax. However, in my university contract it does state that you "should" be able to connect to multi player games. However, on every game I have tested it does not work, accept for Valve games on steam. So, Counter Strike Source and Day of defeat source both work. COD4 from a normal CD does not, but also from steam does not. So I am assuming it's something about the ports that the games are running off and the university is blocking.

Does anybody have a solution for this ? A friend suggested I try using a ports canner and then change the ports around ?

If that's a good suggestion, could anyone recommend a good user friendly port scanner ?

Kind Regards, Cripp0
  2. Couriant

Couriant James Trusted Advisor

Mar 26, 2002
    We don't assist in circumventing the network policies of the school. You would want to check with the university that the ports for those games are beingi blocked. Most universities that I know of do block gaming traffic to prevent overutilization.
  3. Tom-US

Oct 28, 2011
    Perhaps u didn't get to play there! ;) .. In another try
  4. iRiguez

Nov 4, 2011
    Talk to your schools Network Administrator.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024259