1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online gaming cuts out my internet connection

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kamanda, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamanda

Kamanda Thread Starter

Hi guys, I just want to thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Right now I'm running a PC which has:
    P4 processor at 2.66Ghz
    512MBRAM
    128 Nvidia Graphics card...but most importantly:

Cable broadband internet (isp=cogeco) and I have an RCA digital broadband modem.

Now the modem has 5 lights:
    message / cable activity / cable link / PC link / Internet

note: the message button never comes on.

When the internet is ON all the lights come on (minus message) with the cable activity and PC lin one flickering and everything runs fine. When it is OFF only cable and PC link stay on wit hthe PC one flickering. NOW heres my problem:

Whenever doing online gaming, after 20min or so all the lights go off except for the internet one, then they all start flashing (including message) then the internet one flashes, then internet and PC link etc and then a couple seconds later BAM its all good. Not I checked the manual and it seems the modem is like "reseting" itself, whats the hell can be causeing this so I can play online for more than 20min at a time!

2. MrGlim

MrGlim

Do you know what your signal strength there is? If not, check with your ISP and have them take a reading. Low signal strength can cut your bandwidth drastically... meaning your online game will eventually cause the modem to choke and have to reset itself. Often the cable company has to come replace a section of bad cable(degraded from lightning strikes, kinks, chafing, etc) that is gimping your connection... or it may be as simple as swapping in a bandwidth amplifier from radio shack on the coax line.

If your signal strength is strong, your cable modem may be at the end of its life. If you have a friend with a cable modem handy, you could borrow it and plug it up to see how it runs... but before testing you have to call your ISP tech desk and tell them the MAC address and, I believe, the serial number of the modem(usually on the back of the cable modem near the connectors).

As a side note, different cable modems have different signal strength requirements to maintain a decent connection. Another modem may work even if your signal strength is a little weak for your current modem. So I'd have the signal strength checked either way.

I don't know about RCA, but Motorola cable modems have pretty good signal strength requirements.

Hope that helps.

3. Kamanda

Kamanda Thread Starter

Awsome, I'll check the signal strength.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice