1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online gaming network drops intermittently

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hopkinsmed, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hopkinsmed

hopkinsmed Thread Starter

OK, so this is my setup. I have a surfboard cable modem coming into a D-link DI-624 wireless router. From teh router, I have 3 destinations: 1) 2 computers running XP both using wireless cards; 2) playstation 2 console using the WIRED connection.

What happens is this: when I connect to my online games (one in particular) via PS2, everything works fine at first. The connection is good and there is no problems.

However, as the game goes along I run into lots of lag/jitter periodically. Its very strange. It will be totally fine for awhile, then all of a sudden I get lag. Eventually I lose my connection.

When this happens, I check my computer internet connection and everytying works FINE. My pings to www.comcast.net on my computer range from 20 ms all the way up to 100 ms.

I have 2 wireless cell phones in my house. ARe those interfering somehow? I also have a wireless cordless phone but I unplugged and I'm still getting intermittent drops. I dont think other wireless things should affect this because my PS2 is plugged straight into the router, I'm not using wireless for that.

I pulled the router off the network and plugged my PS2 straight into my cable modem, but it didnt help.

I changed the ethernet cables, but it didnt help

I have my PS2 set up as a DMZ on the router so all ports are open. Gaming consoles require a lot of ports to operate right, so instead of setting up each one of those I just set it up as a static DHCP w/ DMZ.

This setup worked fine for me before I moved to this new location. Since I moved here is when its been having problems. I'm starting to think that the cable coming into the house has noise in it or something.

I can post my cable modem power statistics if you guys want. I'm desperate here. I have no clue whats going on.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Stop playing around with your router in the attempt to diagnose this problem. If you have the SAME symptoms and you have a modem directly to the PS2 the problem is either the PS2 OR the modem it can't be the router at all.

Really it sounds like its a PS2 only problem because the modem is working fine for internet use by the other PC's when the router is attached.

Have you tried your PS2 at another location?

3. rodawg107

rodawg107

It Not A Ps2 Issue -it Is A Comcast Issue -i Know Because I Work For Them And I Am Having The Same Issues With Ps2/madden 2007. My Ps2 Worked Fine Before The Conversion From Timewarner To Comcast.every Since The Conversion It Has Been A Living Hell To Play Online. So Stop Telling People It's A Ps2 Issue And Get Us Some Answers.comcast Has Something In Their Network That Is Not Allowing Gamers To Play Online.what It Is It?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

OKAY if its not a PS2 issue then change your ISP. the bottom line is your playing around with a router in in the setup and the fault isn't the router. Tf you don't get an answer from the ISP if you call them directly what makes you think anyone on a forum can answer it?

I think you already answered your own question -

Next time don't bash at me because i tell you its not a router problem - I am not a PS2 expert and coming to a computer support forum for PS2 advice IMHO is a bit funny to begin with especially when you had the answer that its an ISP related issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490998

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice