1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

online gaming problem, help?

Discussion in 'Games' started by adakow, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adakow

adakow Thread Starter

Ok, let me start by saying that I have 3 PCs on this home network. One PC upstairs which is hardwired to the modem/router and two downstairs (one uses a pci network adapter and MY computer uses a USB adapter). The internet works fine on all the computers, streaming media is not a problem. But I do have one problem.

I played World of Warcraft on my old PC (with the PCI adapter) and never experienced any sort of constant lag spikes or whatever. I got my new PC recently, and it doesn't have an available PCI slot so I purchased the USB network adapter and use that to connect wirelessly to my router upstairs. It shows 4 out of 5 bars of signal on my taskbar (it used to show 2-3 but i fixed that and now it shows 4 constant bars of signal, out of 5). I got my new PC especially to play games like World of Warcraft as well as a few other games and I seem to be having a very annoying problem.

Whenever I'm doing something in the game, everything will pause for a bit (characters will run in place, like a regular lag spike, whatever) and then 3-4 seconds later everything will speed up and catch up to what's supposed to be going on in the game. This occurs about every minute and it is VERY frustrating. Like I said, my internet browser and streaming media work fine, except the gaming. I tried another online game, and I had the same problem. I updated the firmware on my router and the same problem still occurs. I brought my PC upstairs to directly connect it to the router and the problem did not occur. I brought the PC back downstairs and the problem continued with the USB network adapter. I do not know where to go from here and need some help because I have run out of options. Can someone help me out please?

P.S. All of my networking devices are Linksys products and I use a Wireless-G router and USB network adapter. Oh, and my ping is always in the "green". Around 150-180 ms which is fine for World of Warcraft. Even if it got in the yellow (250-350ms) on my old computer (and when directly connected into modem/router) these frequent lag spikes never happened. Only now with my USB wireless adapter.

2. adakow

adakow Thread Starter

bump!

3. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

First let me say online gaming over wireless is a pain. I play WOW on my desktop mostly but if my wife gets home I have to play on my laptop and even being with in feet of the wireless router I still get the issues you are having. What are the Spec on your laptop? Are there any processes running in the background (Virus scanners, backups, downloads, etc)?

4. adakow

adakow Thread Starter

it's a desktop, not a labtop. and here are the specs:

Gateway FX7024
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    3GB DDR2
    500GB SATA II
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
    10/100 LAN
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit

and this is the router i use:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175244179609&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7960936858B04

and the wireless network adapter i use:
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=5787350294B12

anything else you need to know? and the only other programs i run on the desktop, other than World of Warcraft, are iTunes and AOL instant messenger. and maybe firefox every now and then.

i dono if a range expander would help? or some sort of repeater? and hardwiring from my router to my computer downstairs would be a pain, but would probably work the best. does this have anything to do with the included firmware on the router? maybe i need to download a 3rd party firmware for the router? and does it have anything to do with WPA or WEP? i use WEP.

5. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

Sorry I saw wireless and figured laptop.

Do you have any Add-on or Mods for WOW installed?
    Are any of them new since your old machine?

6. adakow

adakow Thread Starter

ya i use addons and stuff but i doubt those are the problem. i'm gonna try plugging in my comp right next to the router tomorrow. I'll leave the USB adapter in my computer to see if the distance to the router will have any effect on the connection. if the problem persists, i'll know it's either my router or my network card. if it's fine, i know i'll need a range expander of some sort.

7. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

Since the 3.0 patch for WOW a lot of Add0n I had have broke or need updated. I know this issue was before the patch. I'd like you to try disabling you wow addons and see how your lag is. I remember that I had some running in place issue with my addons out of date.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice