1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online Gaming/Router Configuration Problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by jspn85, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jspn85

jspn85 Thread Starter

OK, I'll give a brief overview of what I'm working with and then describe my problem. I have a relatively new notebook (bought it about 2 months ago, I wouldn't think the exact specs are necessary but if they are let me know), a DSL connection and I have a Linksys Wireless-G router.

I've attempted to play two games online with a friend (Age of Empires 3 and Diablo 2), both of which resulted in nothing by headaches. In both games we attempted to directly connect to each other via IP. He also has a notebook and is using a wireless router. We've tried it both ways; me trying to connect to him and vice versa, same problem both times.

Now, I don't know a whole lot of anything about networking and routers and the such, but I'll put in what I do know. When I try hosting a Direct IP game, both games listed an IP at the top of the screen, but it wasn't my IP, it was what I think is called the local IP? It's 192.168.1.1; now I know that's the address to the router and if I type that in my browser address bar I can access the router's configuration and all that good stuff. I also noticed that if i go to that address one of the options under the router configuration is "Applications and Gaming". When I go there it lists a bunch of stuff about opening ports and triggering ports and some other stuff that I've never heard of.

I've talked to a few people and they tell me that I would need to open certain ports and stuff like that, but no one could really tell me anything for sure.

So...any guidance? Thanks!

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

3. jspn85

jspn85 Thread Starter

Ok...so what do I do with this information?

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

5. jspn85

jspn85 Thread Starter

Still no luck. I set up a static IP for this computer and then forwarded the ports it told me to and still didn't work. When I try to connect to battle.net it says "Querying the gateway" and then times out....where should I go from here?

6. jspn85

jspn85 Thread Starter

I talked to linksys tech support and they had me enable DMZ and that didn't work either...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice