1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online Kaspersky Scan

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Dale7905, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dale7905

Dale7905 Thread Starter

Looking over some of the comments in this forum it appears running the free Kaspersky Online Scan may help me identify and hopefully eliminate some spyware/malware etc. problems that have infected my computer. I'm running Windows XP service pak two. Is there any potential problem that running this program will cause any damage to my computer files or crash my computer? Currently the malware etc is primarily annoying with its frequent popups, but all my programs seem to operate OK. Thanks for any help/comments/suggestions.

2. SouthernMail

SouthernMail

I can't guarantee anything (and no one else can either), but I've run a Kaspersky scan when I've had problem with malware. It will take a while to download and run and you will get a very long report. As long as you're just running a scan I don't see a problem. But . . . it's still up to you.

You might want to wait and see if anyone else has a differing opinion.

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Post a Hijackthis log first! This will show most malwares and is reccommended so that we can tell what you should do next, as there are times you need special tools before doing anything else.

go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Please also do this:
    Open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button. Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button. Click the "Save List" button. After you click the "Save List" button, you will be asked where to save the file. Pick a place to save it then the list should open in notepad. Copy and paste that list here.

(edited this AM)
    I agree that the Kaspersky online scan is a very good way to identify malware...but, the scan would help a lot more after you use other tools in case we need you to..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/653533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice