1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online malware scanner for Mac (external drives incl.)

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by AlphaOmega2010, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlphaOmega2010

AlphaOmega2010 Thread Starter

Hi there, lately my Mac has been running very sluggishly, and I wondered if there is any way to check if my Mac has been infected with Malware using a free online scanner? I used to use the Trend Micro Housecall scanner. But when I went to their site and downloaded the Housecall app, it opens, but immediately crashes, and I have to Force Quit the app.

2. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Malwarebytes works pretty good

AlphaOmega2010 likes this.
  3. AlphaOmega2010

Downloaded the free trial of Malwarebytes, and the scan is clear. So I guess I need to figure out if there's some other reason why my Mac is running slower lately and occasionally freezing.

4. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Have you tried running Disk Utility??

5. AlphaOmega2010

A
    Disk Utility says that everything is ok.
    I may however have another suspect. I was part of a photographic project that required multiple artists/photographers/videographers to upload their materials to a shared Dropbox folder. And that means that because that shared folder has to reside on my drive that it takes up a whole lot of space. I'm wondering if there's still enough space left on my drive to allow apps to run smoothly, or if I need to consider finding a way to delete those shared dropbox files from my folder, without deleting them on anyone else, so I can free up a bunch of space.

6. 2twenty2

2twenty2

7. AlphaOmega2010

I tried Housecall, and the scanner worked eventually, but the scan was only 30 seconds long or so. It obviously only did a very shallow scan, and only on the Mac HD. It didn't scan any of the portable drives attached to the Mac where all my important files are kepot.
    The ESET scanner is an exe file so won't work, and the F-Secure link says it doesn't have an online scanner for Mac, and I didn't want to install F-Secure's software in case it causes a conflict with the Avast software already installed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice