online pc purchase...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
Anybody had experience with dellauction.com???

Any other authorized dealers who sell refurbs - HP, Acer, Gateway, etc. ???

Thanks!

pugmug

Banned
I picked up a refurb dim 4550 for one of my kids years ago from them. It was in great shape,worked well and had the same warranty as their new systems.

I'm not familiar with that website but in my opinion you are much better off with A Dell or Gateway rather than an HP, Compaq or eMachine.

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
Would you not buy a re-furb, JW, even from the manufacturer?

Dell shipped to me a re-furb [unbeknownst at the time] as a warranty d'top replacement a few years ago, and besides a 128 M ramstick, no prob's yet...

pugmug

Banned
The way it worked for myself was that someone else's problems were already fixed by Dell before they resold the computer to me.ps at a very nice price compared to new.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Sometimes the problems are NOT fixed and the unit is just resold. Refurburshed is a miss used term meaning absolutely nothing in the computer world.

pugmug

Banned
Refurb can also mean a trade in as in nothing was wrong with the computer other than a person wanted to upgrade to a faster state of the art so to speak computer.

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
seems to me that no manufacturer could sell a unit - new, or used - with a hardware problem...

Dell has got many used laptops with no OS. Can I install XP from my desktop's OS re-install disk?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
You can only have a copy of Windows installed on one computer at a time, so NO.

pugmug

Banned
If you buy a Dell refurb at least make sure they give you a drivers disk with it and that way you can buy a os disk to install in it.That way you know for sure you can get all the installed hardware up and running correctly if the os does not have the drivers needed.

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
Triple6 said:
You can only have a copy of Windows installed on one computer at a time, so NO.
I've heard others say this also, T6...

...so I just linked to Dell chat support, and the tech rep said I COULD do this. Just to
make sure, I did a print/save screen, so that if I do end up going with a dell refurb that has no OS, and I cannot install XP from my own disk...

Do you know something else on such a new install?

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
Seems cut and dried.

Could it be that dell has rights to allow a purchaser to use the same copy 'by two processors'?

The dell tech rep did say it was permissable...

And now that some units have dual core CPU, how can there be no exclusion?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Who cares what an incompenent Dell person reading from a manual says. Dell has no more rights then any other manufactuer or retailer.

Dual/Multi-Processor and Dual Cores is NOT the same thing. Windows XP Professional can support two physical processors and Windows XP Home can only support one physical processor. Now that processor can have one or two cores or HyperThreading - that doesn't affect Windows XP licensing.

You can only have one computer running a copy of Windows XP at a time. You can remove it from one computer and move it to another computer if you wish but you are NOT legally allowed to run Windows with the same license on two computers at the same time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online