1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online sales tax to be imposed in New York State...

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by Byteman, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Out of state purchasing can't be banned by states, Federal law prevents such a move.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

California takes a less Orwellian approach. On the state income tax form, you are supposed to voluntarily report :D online purchases from businesses in other states and pay California tax on the amount.

4. JohnWill

PA has the same thing, and occasionally they go to other states and audit purchases at selected retailers! :eek: I got caught in this trap a few years ago. Apparently, some retailers will hand over the data just by being asked. :mad:

5. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

as someone who manages a few online stores, I see this as becomeing one hell of a headache. I got no problem putting in tax rules for one or two states, but if the rest of them follow suite.... well thats alot of settings to input. And I dont know what kinda hell that would make for the accounting side of things

6. JohnWill

It will make your life interesting. :D

7. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

New York has also had the voluntary sales tax reporting for a few years. There are two methods to figure non-business items' sales tax on items bought outside NY- item by item exact calculation, or using a chart based on federal adjusted gross income....mine seems to work out better based on income so I use that.

8. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow

Thats the last thing I need right now :mad: Well, at least the overtime is nice :p

9. hewee

hewee

10. JohnWill

I hear you don't have to pay any of those taxes when you're in prison, which is where you'll be if you don't pay your income tax. ;)

11. hewee

hewee

Well I have not paid income tax in 20 years and I am still here at home. :D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!