1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Online videos are loading EXTREMELY slowly

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by krystie, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krystie

krystie Thread Starter

Hey, I was wondering if anybody could help me.

Recently, videos online such a YouTube and on things like 4OD and BBiPlayer aren't loading as fast as they used to.
    I swapped Internet provider in the February just gone and it was great, everything would load really fast and I had no problems. All of a sudden this past week or two it takes absolutely ages to load a video. Sometimes they won't even start loading and I have to refresh the page a few times to get them to load.

I have noticed that in general it takes normal internet pages a while longer load, but it is nothing in comparison to how long it takes videos to load at the moment.

I have deleted my browsing history, cookies etc and that still hasn't helped. I don't know whether it is something I need to talk to my internet provider about or whether it's something I can fix. Just incase this is of any relevance, I use Google Chrome as my browser, my internet provider is Talk Talk and I connect to the internet wirelessly.

I'll be happy to tell you anything else that I can, I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out as it is really annoying me.

Thanks,
    Krystie.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your operating system?

Try a speedtest such as speedtest.net or Speakeasy. How do those results compare with what your ISP is supposed to be providing? Any difference using an ethernet connection to your router? Any difference connecting to the modem if your modem and router are separate units?

If you have another computer on your network is it experiencing the same issues?

3. krystie

krystie Thread Starter

I have tested using speedtest.net. And these are my results:

Download
    0.58Mb/s

Upload
    0.56Mb/s

Ping
    52ms

I'm afraid that I don't know how this compares to what is meant to be provided, and I don't have an ethernet cable to connect to test.

I have another laptop which uses the same network and it is experiencing the same problem.

Thanks.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you truly 'connect to the internet wirelessly" (that is, connect to your ISP via wireless)?

What (brand and model) do you have in the way of modem(s) and/or router(s)?

5. krystie

krystie Thread Starter

No, I was provided a wireless router which is a D-LINK router, that connects into the telephone line.

Thanks.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you get the same poor results with an ethernet connection the problem likely lies with the ISP or router. If only the wireless is a problem then it may be wireless interference or it may be a problem with the router's wireless.

7. krystie

krystie Thread Starter

Okay, thank you. I have rang my internet provider and I have been asked to do speed tests throughout the day, once I have told them that I will have to see what they say. :\ It's a lot of messing around!

Thank you for your help anyway, I'm sure it will get sorted soon.

8. DSdavidDS

DSdavidDS

Try using pingtest.net it will tell you your internet score. If your score is B and still laggs, then this may be a temporary problem from a background program downloading something.

9. krystie

krystie Thread Starter

Hey. I have tried the pingtest thing and it gave me a grade D! Rubbish. What do you think this means then? That it is a problem that I need to take up with my internet provider?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you click on "Learn more about grades"?

Essentially it means "it takes absolutely ages to load a video. Sometimes they won't even start loading and I have to refresh the page a few times to get them to load." :)

11. krystie

krystie Thread Starter

"Concerning. Most online applications will not perform well but should function in some capacity. Try testing to other servers to verify the result. You might need to contact your ISP for help."

Means I can't do anything! Haha. I do hope I get this sorted soon.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice