1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only 1 core of core duo turned on at manufacturer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FredricJLowe, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredricJLowe

FredricJLowe Thread Starter

My wife owns a Dell laptop with Intel core duo purchased from manufacturer. She took it into Staples for a free pc tuneup. They said only 1 of the 2 cores were turned on. They explained that this is how they are shipped. They turned the 2nd core on for free. Why are they shipped with only 1 of the 2 cores turned on?

I have a Dell quad core desktop that I purchased from Best Buy. I googled this subject and it said to clik on Task Manager and clik on Performance. I noticed 4 graphs of the 4 processors and each has activity. I paid Best Buy $200 when I purchased the computer about 1.5 years ago to optimize it. Was this optimization actually turning on the other 3 cores if in fact Dell shipped it to them with only 1 turned on. Is this done purposely as a profit maker for firms like Best Buy or Staples?

Lastly, my RAM is at around 62-68%. It came with 3bg RAM. Would increasing this to 8GB increase the speed substantially? It says there are 4 slots holding 2GB each. Could I take out one that probably is 1GB and then just purchase 3 more at 2GB? Does it have to be the same manufacturer or do I just have to be sure it is DDR2 PC2-6400 from a different manufacturer?

Thank you.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Unless you are running 64bit software, you wont be able to use any more that 3GB on 32bit software
    Have a look at control panel - classic view, system - that will tell you the software installed
    What applications are you running, and what are you using the PC for?

I have no answer on the other questions

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most computers do not even have an option to disable additional cores, Best Buy uses a lot of gimmicks and false advertising to get people to get their 'optimization packages' which are massively over priced and sometimes not needed, that is how they sell their PC's for so little - they make their profit on over priced accessories and over priced service.

If you want to confirm what Best Buy told you then Google your wife's laptop model and see if anyone else mentions the same thing, if they do this on all the models or within one series then there will be many others talking about it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice