Only 1 HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Redwards

I have been looking around for info on how to fix this but I can't find anything relevant. I am trying to put in a new hard drive but it isn't showing up anywhere. I am using XP right now but I want to use the second HDD to install windows 7 on but I can't even get it to show up in XP. What can I do to make it show up?

I connected both power cables and both SATA wires so I don't think it is a wiring problem.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Does the new HDD showup in Computer Management ??
Right Click Computer >> Manage >> Disc Management.
It might need initialized.
Make sure you install W7 with only one drive installed.

The W7 install should have found it if it was the only drive installed.

Redwards

Does the new HDD showup in Computer Management ??
Right Click Computer >> Manage >> Disc Management.
It might need initialized.
Make sure you install W7 with only one drive installed.

The W7 install should have found it if it was the only drive installed.
No, it isn't showing up there.

I can't even seem to install W7 right now because it just says starting windows and then it just sits there at this screen with the cursor.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Was the new drive the only drive installed ??
Did you boot to the optical drive that has the W7 DVD in it ??

Redwards

Ok, I was able to install windows 7 on the second hard drive. The 1st HDD shows up on XP and the second on W7. Can I use an external HDD to transfer data from one hard drive to the other?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you have both Drives installed ... Just copy the Data from one to the other.
Why move the Data to the external .. Then to the other Drive ??
You don't have to boot to the drive to read it.

dustyjay

Jay
If you are planning to copy Program Files to the new hard drive, you will have to install the program to that drive for it to work. If just copying Data files such as Document, pictures music and Video files you would have no problem just copying them.

Redwards

I don't see the other hard drive when I am in windows so how am I supposed to transfer them over?

dustyjay

Jay
This statement led me to believe that you had both drives working.

Ok, I was able to install windows 7 on the second hard drive. The 1st HDD shows up on XP and the second on W7. Can I use an external HDD to transfer data from one hard drive to the other?

Redwards

Both drives are working but I can't just drag files from one drive across to the other one. From some reason while I am in W7 I can only see the second hard drive showing up.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What do you see if you open the XP Drive while running W7 .. You should be able to Browse the contents

Attachments

Redwards

That is all I see at the moment. I am going to try to boot to XP and see how it looks right now.

crjdriver

Something is wrong here. Post a screenshot of disk management. [Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes]

Note win7 does not show the run command by default. You need to select that in taskbar properties.

crjdriver

One other item. Both of these drives are connected to the same controller correct? Some mb will have two different sata controllers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online