1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

only 16 or 2 colors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 4plates, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4plates

4plates Thread Starter

hi im new to this board and i hope you guys can help me
    i reformatted my computer and reinstalled windows 98
    everything is up and running except my color is all messed up
    if i go to the control panal under display settings the only options i have for color is 16 colors or 2 colors.there used to be an option of 256 color and true color but the arent options anymore.
    can someone please help me,its very hard to read computer screen

2. littlemar

littlemar

Depending on the video card you have in your system you will need to reinstall the drivers for that. You'll probably have to open your box (with it turned off and being grounded) check the name of your card. Go to that site and find the drivers for your OS and card. Good luck to you.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I agree. You need to reinstall the video drivers(preferably any updated ones that are available instead of installing the original ones). Some video cards are tricky about having this done, so good luck.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

4. dmbuz33

dmbuz33

I have the same problem with my computer since I had a crash and had to use my boot disk to reinstall W98. My video card says Hosonic on it and I haven't been able to find any drivers for it.
    Any suggestions? I am ready to buy a new card or something!
    I have a CD with a lot of drivers (came with my computer) on it but none of them look like they are related.
    Dave:confused: :confused:

5. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

dmbuz33 and 4plates

To ID the video card:
    If there's an FCC ID number on it, you can chase down the manufacturer here: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

Here's a tip that jtdoom brought to our attention: VIDEOCARD DETECT You can run the following without opening the case to get an idea of the manufacturer and make:
    1. From a DOS prompt, Win 3.x, Win9x, WinNT, or Win2K command prompt type debug and press Enter.
    2. A single dash will appear at which point type DC000:35 and then press Enter (DC000:50 may also work for newer cards).
    3. You may need to type D at the second dash and press Enter for more of the information to appear. I just looked into this D at the second dash thing. when I kept hitting D I saw things like chip revision and such appear.
    PS: To exit the debug program, type q or quit.

It works like this:
    might want to try this, worked on our computer here like a charm: open a DOS window (run->command<enter> ) type the following:
    debug <enter>
    "d c000:0010" (without the quotes) <enter>
    on the right side you should be able to pick out your video card info in there somewhere.
    if it looks like it gets cut off, try something like:
    "d c000:0020" or "d c000:0030"etc.
    to keep going for example on the PC I'm on now, here's what you get:
    d c000:0010
    DEO ....}.....IB
    M VGA Compatible
    ........04/08/99
    .i.....H..>..>PM
    IDX.[...........
    .[..NV...........
    ...B...:...P..<

d c000:0050

.i.....H..>..>PM
    IDX.[...........
    .[..NV...........
    ...B...:...P..<
    q(o:.:..........
    ..Viper V770 AGP
    Video Card (C)1999
    Diamond Mul

so, there's a Diamond Viper V770 video card in this computer.

Hope that helps!

or see: http://www.s3.com/support/diamond/default.asp?menu=support&submenu=Legacy_Graphics&item=video_id

I looked all over for a Hosonic video card and could only find Hosonic crystals and other parts, but NO video cards. See if one of these methods gives you more information.

6. safegezaaa

safegezaaa

once you have identified your video card (FCC ID # will tell you who made it) you can go to www.driverguide.com for some older, hard-to find drivers. Username is 'drivers' password is 'all' (without the quotes)

7. A Hawk

A Hawk

If you go to "run" and type dxdiag it should tell what video & sound card, ram, every thing you have.Let us no what sort of card I might have a driver, or try a search with www.google.com or www.driverzone.com

8. dmbuz33

dmbuz33

I have tried everything that all of you have told me. The closest I have come is that I have a video card made by Pro II Inc. I cannot find a site for them or the person whose name is on the grant. I did get a warning when I ran the debug. It said,
    "Graphics accelerator cooling fan failed".
    ????? Dave

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice