1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only 18 mbps internet connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hgrRandy, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hgrRandy

hgrRandy Thread Starter

I am connected to the internet via the built in wireless in my laptop. We have a netgear router in the house. I have never had issues with internet speed up until about 3 weeks ago. I am consistently only getting 18 mbps with my wireless connection as opposed to previously consistently getting 54 mbps. I tried several things to restore the connection to it's previous speed but nothing has worked. Thing's I have tried:

1) Powering off the modem and the wireless router and powering them back on. With this scenario, upon reconnecting, my computer will jump up to 54mbps but within 30 seconds, it will drop back down to 18 mbps and no less.

2) Tried reinstalling the drivers for the wireless. This fixed nothing.

3) Tried a destructive PC recovery, that did nothing as well.

4) Tried using the laptop right next to the router and there was no change in speed.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what my problem might be? Oh yeah, there are 2 other laptops in the house getting a perfect connection. It's just me with the problem.

Maybe my wireless card is bad? I dunno.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

EDIT: There is no change to my laptops position so I'm pretty positive it's not some object causing interference with the connection.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the HP web site get the latest driver for your wireless adapter.

What is the brand and model of your adapter? What wireless utility are you using to manage the connection.

3. hgrRandy

hgrRandy Thread Starter

By adapter, I believe you're reffering to the built in wireless card. It is a broadcom 801.bla bla bla ( I forgot the rest of the numbers and I'm not by my computer). I believe the wireless utility I'm using is whatever one Windows XP home uses. I haven't really changed anything. Plus I just did the destructive system recovery so everything is back to it's basic settings.

I contacted HP Support online and they sent me the drivers to reinstall. I'm assuming they sent me the current ones.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice