Only 2 speakers work in 5.1 setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ufo8mydog

As the subject says, I have a 5.1 soundcard (Audigy), 5 speakers (Creative 5300) and a sub. At the moment, only 2 speakers at a time work.

None of the speakers are defective because I can plug different speakers into the two holes that do output sound, and each speaker can output sound using these holes.

Note that I have checked that the speakers were all plugged in properly into the back of my soundcard, and that Windows XP was set to a 5 speaker setup in the control panel.

Also note that when i got the speakers and soundcard, all 5 speakers were working at once. Then suddenly one day the output dropped to 2 speakers, with no apparent change to hardware or software.

I am unsure how to proceed.... any suggestions?

You may need to update the driver for the sound card. Go to the manufacturers site or search through google. Also try uninstalling it then reinstall, if none of the above work and its still under warranty take it back.:)

Can you remember when it happened? Maybe an automatic update changed something. I do remember some recent updates to DirectX and Windows Media 9, both of which may affect sound.

use the mixer panel to re-enable the speakers and also check that start-settings-sound/multimedia speaker output is set to 5.1 surround sound

ufo8mydog

Thanks for the suggestions
I will try them out in a couple of days and see what happens

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts