1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

only 4% free disk space left

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cocorkgrl, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cocorkgrl

cocorkgrl Thread Starter

Hello - I run Windows XP Professional and while trying to burn cd's I got an alert message telling me I only had 4% free disk space. I removed MSN which took up 111MB and nothing. I tried again and removed my Canon Zoombrowser ex which was 966MB and it still did not affect the percentage of free disk space on my C drive. I don't even have enough disk space to defrag. My computer is 10 GB with 244 meg ram. I have also deleted countless items in my document folder - such things as saved media player videos I received in email attachments and many word documents - all this resulting in no change in my free disk space. I rebooted after removing programs, this also had no effect. :confused: I don't know what to try next. Can someone help me? Thank You.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

You could try turning off System Restore, and although that will delete all previous restore points, it should free up a lot of space. If you gain a significant amount of hard drive free space, you could turn it back on but I don't think there's very often a need to back further than a week or so. How about clearing Temp Internet files and Cookies and any other Temp files you can find.

10Gb isn't huge these days - you could treat that as a System Disk and put a larger one in for your data and some Program Files.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have Norton installed, try emptying the Norton Protected Files from the Recycle Bin.

4. cocorkgrl

cocorkgrl Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies! :) I am not sure how system restore works. I can turn it off through the task manager right? What does it do? How long can it remain off and how often and for how long should I turn it back on? Also, why was no space freed up when I removed such a large program as 993 MB and a second one of 111 MB? Why was there no change at all? :confused:

Thank you so much for your help.

Also, I did empty the Norton protected recycle bin and the cookies from my IE browser. I also removed several folders of photos from Zoombrowser.

I am new at this forum and haven't had much time to get to know the way things are done. Am I responding properly or should I be emailing?

5. bobol

bobol

6. Telstar

Telstar

Hi cocorkgrl,

Also, run the.....CleanUp!....utility.
    (if you don't want to delete your cookies or Favorites/Bookmarks go to *Options* and be sure they are unchecked)

We can also try this.
    Let's have a look at your system....
    Go to this site....PC Pitstop

>click on the link *full PC tune-up*
    >follow the instructions to sign-up for a free Account
    >take the full test (if you have ZoneAlarm turn it off for the test
    so a Ping test can be completed then, back on after the test)
    >after the test post your TechExpress link to your results back here in this thread.

Follow....these instructions

This is a very comprehensive set of tests and will tell the good, the bad and....the ugly about your system and will help in determining what needs to be done to get your computer back to good health.

(I suspect, among other things, you probably have an excess of Junk Files and Broken Links.
    We'll address that after the test.
    Your test result will show the amount of Junk Files)

Telstar :)

7. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

In answer to why your not seeing a lot more free space is because there isnt that much to see really in 10 Gb,most of your space is taken up by your operating system and system restore takes a lot too ,there was a change when you deleted those programs you mentioned earlier,just that it didnt show significantly, If you want to know about System Restore read this page http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

In short cocorkgrl you are on the edge with 10GB with todays programs etc,you seem to have done all the right things,dont worry about what its showing as long as you can keep doing what you want .....

And yes you are responding correctly to the forum .......

8. hewee

hewee

Best to have 10% or more free but your drive is small so your have to delete a lot.
    So get a bigger drive and or a bigger 2nd drive. Then you could move things over to your new drive to free up space on it.
    Your PC will run better with more free space too.

9. finwood

finwood

Delete any mp3 files stored on the hard disk .Music really takes up lots of space. You can download a little freeware program called Disk Pie that will tell you what kind of files are on your hard drive. Do a google search for Disk Pie by N. Rubenking.

10. cocorkgrl

cocorkgrl Thread Starter

11. Telstar

Telstar

Hi,
    I'm sure you've found out that by clicking on any of these links
    there are recommended fixes and advice....
    [​IMG]

One thing you can do right now....

# Start Internet Explorer
    # Select Tools | Internet Options | General
    # Under Temporary Internet Files click the Settings button.
    # In the box for the amount of disk space to use, enter a value between 5 and 80 megabytes.
    # Click OK to accept the changes.

This will reduce your browser cache size down to 80 or less from the
    322 MB you have presently.

Also, as previously mentioned, you need a larger capacity Hard Drive...
    Upgrade your Hard Drive to at least 40GB...but, bigger is better.
    Drive C:\ has only 3 percent of its space available.
    Drive D:\ has only 22 percent of its space available.
    Of the total 12.57 GB of disk space available on this system, just 0.84 GB (7%) is still available. The rest is being used by existing program and data files.

Add more Memory....
    You now have a 256MB stick installed with one open slot.
    Add another 256MB minimum of RAM.
    A good place to purchase RAM is from....Crucial Technology

These are the major items you need to take care of for any improvement
    in your system's performance.

Telstar :)

12. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Cocorkgrl:

Reduce the browser cache size to 20 MB.

Move the slider in the Recycle Bin from its default value of 10% to 3%.

Reduce the size of System Restore to about 800 - 1000 MB.

Delete everything in "Search - Files And Folders" under:

*.TMP

C:\TEMP\*.*

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\*.*

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/282160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice