Only a underscore on booting before bios (new build)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kutleven

So pretty much my parts came in yesterday, It was a pretty fast build, Everything worked been gaming for a few hours.
So i went home, And thats where my pc stopped working it didnt really do much, So testing out ram, tested about everything at this point.
The easy debug led stays bright white on VGA even tho i removed my GPU using MB hdmi slot now, I tried all ram slots, tried removing my m2
i toke my cpu out and back in, All i get is this little underscore on the tv, So there is signal or screen, idk how to fix this anyone got a idea?

Msi MAG B560M Mortar
i7 11700k
G skill trident z rgb 3600 2x 16gb
Msi RTX 3060 ti
Toughpower gf1a 850 watt
mastercooler liquid ml360 illusion

Attachments

Last edited:
Please post brand and model number of all parts in the system.

If boot with the Windows setup USB, does it boot correctly?

Kutleven

Please post brand and model number of all parts in the system.

If boot with the Windows setup USB, does it boot correctly?
Thanks for the reply, And my bad.
Msi MAG B560M Mortar
i7 11700k
G skill trident z rgb 3600 2x 16gb
Msi RTX 3060 ti
Toughpower gf1a 850 watt
mastercooler liquid ml360 illusion (played ark for a few hours, reached about 35 degrees max)

It wont boot anymore, Well screen turns on and all i get is the underscore(before bios splash screen or anything) while it worked before, I actually plugged in my windows usb it doesnt change a thing, mostly the usb light on it wont even turn on, It does turn on after a few reboots and gets stuck on the underscore still, It seems like a ram issue, but my ram is brand new, and if i test it in another pc it works flawless

Last edited:
To thoroughly test your ram, you need to download memtest86.. Burn the iso file to disk then boot with it. and run the test for at least 2 hrs.

Kutleven

To thoroughly test your ram, you need to download memtest86.. Burn the iso file to disk then boot with it. and run the test for at least 2 hrs.
yeah if the pc could boot, its stuck before the bios screen even, it does show image, so (atm onboard also works)

Reset the BIOS by clearing the CMOS.
pg 41 of motherboard manual here (click Manual)

Resetting BIOS to default values
1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
4. Plug the power cord and Power on the computer.

JBAT1 shown more clearly on pg 27.
You can use a flathead screwdriver to short the pins if you don't have a jumper.

Test booting again afterwards.

Was the Debug VGA light coming on when the GPU was installed?

Are you sure it's i7-11700K not i7-11700F? F series has no integrated graphics, K series does.
May need to check CPU socket for bent pins.

Kutleven

Reset the BIOS by clearing the CMOS.
pg 41 of motherboard manual here (click Manual)

Resetting BIOS to default values
1. Power off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Use a jumper cap to short JBAT1 for about 5-10 seconds.
3. Remove the jumper cap from JBAT1.
4. Plug the power cord and Power on the computer.

JBAT1 shown more clearly on pg 27.
You can use a flathead screwdriver to short the pins if you don't have a jumper.

Test booting again afterwards.

Was the Debug VGA light coming on when the GPU was installed?

Are you sure it's i7-11700K not i7-11700F? F series has no integrated graphics, K series does.
May need to check CPU socket for bent pins.
Did everything once again still the same issues.

The debug light also shows with my rtx in.

And yeah its the K version, i do get the underscore so the onboard also works.

crjdriver

If I understand your posts, you built the system and it worked. You then moved the system home; connected it to a TV and now it does not work. If that is correct, the very first thing I would do would be to connect a real monitor for testing.
If it still does not work with a real monitor, then you are going to have to start troubleshooting by reseating both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors, reseat ram, and anything else that may have "Moved" when you transported the system.
Next step [if the above is not successful] is to start swapping parts with known good units ie ram, pw supply, etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online