Solved Only backlight appears

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aeiopam

My acer laptop fell from my bed, 3 ft high last night. When I open it there is the window sound but the screen remains black and the backlight is on. When connected to external monitor it projects to the external monitor. I brought my laptop to a shop to assess it and everything was fine except from a small screw that is removed. All the cables are in postion. We don't know what the matter is. Any ideas??? Thank you everyone.

HyperHenry

Henry
I am guessing that the shop didn't fix it? It could be a lot of different things that on a laptop are hard to diagnose and fix. You may try replacing the cords.

The fact you say it boots, on an external monitor, and seems to boot (sounds) suggests the ribbon connector may have moved a bit[emoji41]

You don't say whether it was open or closed when it fell.

Nor do you say whether the shop took it apart to diagnose the problem.if your complaint is display did they remove bezel surrounding it, and the top of the case on laptop. Or was it merely a cursory inspection and a loose screw.

Best suggestion if handy download the HMM for your model of Acer laptop and either check the ribbon cable or else hire a tech to do it.

It's fiddly tedious work but doable, if you have patience and an assortment of screwdrivers.

YouTube or ifixit may have suggestions for fix, and if lucky how to dismantle without breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What's the full model description for that Acer laptop ? (should be on a label underneath).

aeiopam

So yeah they said that the ribbon connector is fine. Is there a way where I can test or check up my laptop without opening it? I'm afraid I can't handle static electricity well. Thanks a lot guys

HyperHenry

Henry
When you close the laptop there's a button that turns off the screen. Check and see if that button is stuck down.

Gr3iz

Mark
That's actually not a likely suspect. Typically when that switch is activated it will also switch off the backlight as well as the video, and I've seen them most likely to be a magnetic switch these days.
I have to agree with the feeling that there is a disconnected, or insecurely connected, cable. This can be either on the motherboard side, or on the LCD itself. It's less likely, but still possible that the cable was damaged in the fall.
I hope it wasn't the Geek Squad you brought it to ...

I have seen about five laptops in the past year where it was the LCD end of the cable that was loose and it can be a bear to get to it. You have to remove the bezel and framing from the top section of the laptop in order to have the LCD panel flop forward so you can see the back of it which is where the cable plugs in.
Here is a video on how to get to the back of the LCD panel:
A new LCD, BTW (by the way), ought to be about $40 on eBay.

aeiopam

I have seen about five laptops in the past year where it was the LCD end of the cable that was loose and it can be a bear to get to it. You have to remove the bezel and framing from the top section of the laptop in order to have the LCD panel flop forward so you can see the back of it which is where the cable plugs in.
Here is a video on how to get to the back of the LCD panel:
A new LCD, BTW (by the way), ought to be about $40 on eBay.
Thanks for the link. Should I change the lcd now? Or do something with the lcd end cable?

If you are up to it, check the connector first and then buy a new LCD after you have reseated the connector and it still won't work. The laptop will work fine if you remove the bad LCD entirely and run using a monitor until it gets there (saves you the trouble of putting it back together).
You can also save money if you search for the part number printed on the back of the LCD (i.e. LTN156WH-01) and I almost always find them the cheapest on eBay.

aeiopam

Isn't there a tape at the connector? If I open it can I fry the hardwares and can I cause additional damage??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online