Only boot to bios and bios has no video win 8.1

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

planecrazy

On a windows 8.1 computer I have, it will only boot to bios and the bios has no video. There is no graphics chip on the motherboard and I have tried all the video outputs on the graphics card. It was working fine until I installed a serial port and wanted to change the port number. I tried to go into bios and I had no video. Online info told me to try resetting bios by removing the battery and replacing it. When I did this the computer only boots to bios with no video. I am just about to take it to a pro and would like to save the expense. Any help would be appreciated.

managed

Allan
Hi and welcome to TSG,

When you say it boots to 'Bios with no video' what exactly do you see on the screen after switching on (if anything) ?

planecrazy

Hi and welcome to TSG,

When you say it boots to 'Bios with no video' what exactly do you see on the screen after switching on (if anything) ?
I get the start-up screen with the name of the motherboard, then a larger than normal cursor arrow and then a blank screen.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Have you tried clearing cmos? That will put the bios back to default.

crjdriver

How to properly clear cmos;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Clear cmos with the clear pins or jumper for at least 10 seconds
3 If you used a jumper, return it to the normal position. Reinstall the pw cord
4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set time/date and any custom settings you need
Done.

planecrazy

How to properly clear cmos;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Clear cmos with the clear pins or jumper for at least 10 seconds
3 If you used a jumper, return it to the normal position. Reinstall the pw cord
4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set time/date and any custom settings you need
Done.
I followed the reset procedure and the condition did not change. The computer starts I get the screen that has the name of the motherboard, (Gigabyte) and keys to press for different operations then a large arrow cursor and then blank screen.

crjdriver

If you are seeing the gigabyte splash screen, then you are getting video. You are going to have to do some troubleshooting to find the problem.
The first thing to do is to make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, whatever. If you do not, then pull your drive out and connect it to a working system. Make a backup copy of anything important.
Next I would try booting any bootable cd/dvd ie windows install media, linux live dvd, etc. If that works OK, then you know the problem is with your hard drive and or windows installation.

planecrazy

If you are seeing the gigabyte splash screen, then you are getting video. You are going to have to do some troubleshooting to find the problem.
The first thing to do is to make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, whatever. If you do not, then pull your drive out and connect it to a working system. Make a backup copy of anything important.
Next I would try booting any bootable cd/dvd ie windows install media, linux live dvd, etc. If that works OK, then you know the problem is with your hard drive and or windows installation.
I am running win8.1 and it will not automatically boot from the optical drive. You have to be in windows
and be in recovery mode before you restart and I can't do that. is there a way to have it boot from a disk without being in windows or being able to see the bios screen?

crjdriver

Post all of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, etc OR if this is a big box system, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

planecrazy

Post all of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, etc OR if this is a big box system, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#
Gigabyte AM3+ Motherboard GA-970A-UD39, Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX video card 100406NT+8GL, Rosewill Hive series 550w power supply. The cpu is AMD but it is covered and I can't remember the specks.

crjdriver

OK, gigabyte board you hit the F12 key during POST. That will bring up a quick boot menu to enable you to boot from whatever device you want. Have you install media in the drive or port prior to pw ON and bringing up the menu.

planecrazy

OK, gigabyte board you hit the F12 key during POST. That will bring up a quick boot menu to enable you to boot from whatever device you want. Have you install media in the drive or port prior to pw ON and bringing up the menu.
yes, the drive spun up but nothing else. I will try the f12

crjdriver

You are probably going to have to start swapping parts to find out what has failed. Before doing that however one last try;
1 System OFF pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
2 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, whatever. Leave the keyboard connected
3 Pw ON and attempt to enter the bios. If you still cannot enter the bios, then something has failed and you will need to swap parts with known good units to find the failure OR test each of your parts in a bench/test system

Given the age of those parts [motherboard is more than 10yr old] it is not cost effective to repair hardware of that age however up to you.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online