Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Only boot to bios and bios has no video win 8.1

2K views 16 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
On a windows 8.1 computer I have, it will only boot to bios and the bios has no video. There is no graphics chip on the motherboard and I have tried all the video outputs on the graphics card. It was working fine until I installed a serial port and wanted to change the port number. I tried to go into bios and I had no video. Online info told me to try resetting bios by removing the battery and replacing it. When I did this the computer only boots to bios with no video. I am just about to take it to a pro and would like to save the expense. Any help would be appreciated.

#6 ·
How to properly clear cmos;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Clear cmos with the clear pins or jumper for at least 10 seconds
3 If you used a jumper, return it to the normal position. Reinstall the pw cord
4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set time/date and any custom settings you need
Done.

#7 ·
How to properly clear cmos;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Clear cmos with the clear pins or jumper for at least 10 seconds
3 If you used a jumper, return it to the normal position. Reinstall the pw cord
4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set time/date and any custom settings you need
Done.
I followed the reset procedure and the condition did not change. The computer starts I get the screen that has the name of the motherboard, (Gigabyte) and keys to press for different operations then a large arrow cursor and then blank screen.

#8 ·
If you are seeing the gigabyte splash screen, then you are getting video. You are going to have to do some troubleshooting to find the problem.
The first thing to do is to make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, whatever. If you do not, then pull your drive out and connect it to a working system. Make a backup copy of anything important.
Next I would try booting any bootable cd/dvd ie windows install media, linux live dvd, etc. If that works OK, then you know the problem is with your hard drive and or windows installation.

#9 ·
If you are seeing the gigabyte splash screen, then you are getting video. You are going to have to do some troubleshooting to find the problem.
The first thing to do is to make sure you have a current backup of anything important ie docs, pics, whatever. If you do not, then pull your drive out and connect it to a working system. Make a backup copy of anything important.
Next I would try booting any bootable cd/dvd ie windows install media, linux live dvd, etc. If that works OK, then you know the problem is with your hard drive and or windows installation.
I am running win8.1 and it will not automatically boot from the optical drive. You have to be in windows
and be in recovery mode before you restart and I can't do that. is there a way to have it boot from a disk without being in windows or being able to see the bios screen?

#12 ·
OK, gigabyte board you hit the F12 key during POST. That will bring up a quick boot menu to enable you to boot from whatever device you want. Have you install media in the drive or port prior to pw ON and bringing up the menu.

#15 ·
You are probably going to have to start swapping parts to find out what has failed. Before doing that however one last try;
1 System OFF pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
2 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, whatever. Leave the keyboard connected
3 Pw ON and attempt to enter the bios. If you still cannot enter the bios, then something has failed and you will need to swap parts with known good units to find the failure OR test each of your parts in a bench/test system

Given the age of those parts [motherboard is more than 10yr old] it is not cost effective to repair hardware of that age however up to you.

#17 ·
If you did the above and you are still not able to enter the bios, you have some failed part. It does not have to be the video card; it can be just about any part however unless you test in a systematic manner, you will never find out. Again hardware of this age is not cost effective to repair however that is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.