1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only Firefox displays pages while in normal mode but won't access secure sites

Discussion in 'Networking' started by frustratedmuch, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frustratedmuch

frustratedmuch Thread Starter

Hey guys. So all of a sudden my Google Chrome stopped working. I mean I was using it fine then five minutes later it kept giving "error 102 connection refused" instantly as if it wasn't even attempting to load anything. I can browse the web in Firefox but even then I can't do anything regarding secure sites. Also I'm completely unable to update or install any software that requires a connection despite my connection obviously working (since I'm posting this).

Chrome seems to work in safe mode with networking but AVG is still unable to install as it keeps saying I require an internet connection. Also my laptop which uses the same connection appears to work perfectly. I'd like to think it was a Chrome only issue but I'm unable to view https pages or update software regardless of what browser I'm using. Really baffled and frustrated :(

Using XP and SP3.

I've tried the following:

- Checking hosts file
    - Winsock fix
    - Releasing/renewing IP
    - Malware etc scans
    - Rootkit scans
    - Disabling any firewall/antivirus while making sure Chrome is a trusted app
    - Ensuring that the browser settings are set to automatically detect instead of connect via a proxy
    - Router is not blocking anything
    - Uninstalling/reinstalling Chrome

Here's a HijackThis log if it helps:

Thanks for any advice.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Make sure you have the correct date and time on your computer.

If no luck,

Read THIS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice