1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

only get 8 bit resolution for display.....help !

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by debbyjean, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. debbyjean

debbyjean Thread Starter

I picked up a used dell inspirion 1100 laptop (2003 model) that has XP Home installed. The display shows only one option for screen resolution, 8-bit. I have tried updating and then uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the Intel GI, but with no change. I have it set up on a wireless network. The GI is a chipset on the motherbord. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot replace this? Can I go and buy a USB video card and plug it in to correct this, disabling the other onboard one? I called a local computer repair shop and they said they should be able to resolve it for about $45 and that it sounds to them like a software issue, not hardware....... any thoughts ?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

3. zyper95

zyper95

It is much better to consult the manufacturer first before heading down to a local repair shop...But if your planning to purchase an external video card you can disable the onboard video card in your BIOS.

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

Sounds like you need a new video driver.
    I looked at Dell's Support and only saw one available for your Inspiron 1100:
    Dell Intel Graphics Video Driver.

Good luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice