only get 8 bit resolution for display.....help !

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

debbyjean

I picked up a used dell inspirion 1100 laptop (2003 model) that has XP Home installed. The display shows only one option for screen resolution, 8-bit. I have tried updating and then uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the Intel GI, but with no change. I have it set up on a wireless network. The GI is a chipset on the motherbord. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot replace this? Can I go and buy a USB video card and plug it in to correct this, disabling the other onboard one? I called a local computer repair shop and they said they should be able to resolve it for about $45 and that it sounds to them like a software issue, not hardware....... any thoughts ?

It is much better to consult the manufacturer first before heading down to a local repair shop...But if your planning to purchase an external video card you can disable the onboard video card in your BIOS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online