1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only getting 30Mbps from my 100Mbps line.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tidusjnr, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tidusjnr

tidusjnr Thread Starter

So i have the virgin 100Mbps package but am only getting about 30 Mbps of this on my computer. I know that we are getting the full speed, as that i have downstairs (directly connected to router) is able to get 100Mbps.

The computer that is only getting 30 Mbps is connected to the router (Virgin superhup) through the use of powerline adapters to give me a wired conenction from my room down to the router as we are unable to find a cable long enough to procide a direct connection (without drilling holes through our house and having it hang places).

The Powerline adapters i am currently using are the following: http://www.ebuyer.com/263575-tp-link-200mbps-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-tl-pa211kit

Would the problem be the powerline adapters, or is there something else i am missing?

and if the powerline adapters are the problem, could someone suggest better ones for me? thanks!

2. badness

badness

Assuming your Superhub is so super it has a wifi router capacity, why not buy a cheap wireless n adapter for your computer? They can be had for 10-15 bucks, and allow you to be able to move your computer around without being tethered to wires. Seems an easy solution. By the way, do you need download speeds over 30Mbs for this computer?

3. tidusjnr

tidusjnr Thread Starter

well, i use my computer mainly for gaming, as well as it being a Desktop so i would only keep it in one place to begin with.

4. badness

badness

Are you having troubles with connection/lagging?

5. tidusjnr

tidusjnr Thread Starter

no, but i'm not getting what i should be able to have. I'm not worried about whether my connection can do what i want without lag, i am worried about why i am not getting what i should have.

6. badness

badness

Understood. I don't know enough about the powerline adapter to comment as to whether it loses capacity the longer the line runs. I guess it would, as that is the only other variable in your setup. You know that your are getting your download speed delivered to your house. I would be curious to know if your wifi network allows gives you better speed there. Do you have a laptop/tablet/phone you could test it on?

7. PSAKay

PSAKay Banned

Obviously the problem is with the copper not the fiber. Fix one or the other.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice