1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only half of ram Usable??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doctorzeus, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doctorzeus

doctorzeus Thread Starter

Hello,

As you can guess from the title this is what I can see in system Information "16GB RAM (8GB Usable)".

(You can check my rig specs from my computer specifications...)

From the task manager it shows only 8GB as well (just less than 8GB because the MB uses a little bit), here is what I've tried:

-Clearing Cmos and resting to default settings
    -Updating Bios to latest version
    -Going into boot settings in Msconfig and checking the "max memory" option, it reverts to zero once I press "ok" and go back into it???
    -Booting on each individual 4GB ram chip, all of them work fine by themselves..

However the funny thing is whenever I insert another ram chip (have > 4GB of ram) It halfs the amount of RAM available (i.e. 8GB(2X4GB) = "8GB RAM (4GB Usable)", 12GB(3X4GB) = "12GB RAM (6GB Usable)" and of course 16GB (4X4GB) = "16GB RAM (8GB Usable)"). Which is very strange to me..

I have an Asus Maximus III Formula Motherboard with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit has a 16GB RAM cap limit..

Please help! I've been trying to figure this one out for ages!!! :(

Thanks

Doctorzeus

2. doctorzeus

anyone have any suggestions??

Doctorzeus

3. raybro

raybro

According to this MSDN site, W7 Premium 32-bit will recognize only 4GB of RAM. 64-bit will recognize 16GB. Your specs indicate you haveW7 Premium 32-bit and you say it has 8GB usable with 16GB installed.

Me thinks something is amiss.:confused:

Raybro

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here are the specs for a 8 GB(4 GB x 2) kit for that motherboard.

Module Size: 8 GB Kit (4 GB x 2)
    Package: 240-pin DIMM
    Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600
    Specs: DDR3 PC3-10600 • CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 • 1.5V • 512Meg x 64 •

Installing 2 kits would give you the fully-supported amount of 16 GB.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. raybro

raybro

flavallee's input regarding the mobo is correct providing the OS is 64-bit. According to the specs under the user icon the OS is W7 Premium 32-bit. This will limit the usable RAM to about 3.5GB. So there is still a question regarding either the specs, as presented, or interpretation of the readings on the computer.

Raybro

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    His "computer specifications" says Windows 7(32-bit), but his original post says he's using Windows 7(64-bit), so I'm assuming the latter.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. raybro

raybro

Sorry... Missed that.:eek:

Raybro

8. Bradthecru

Bradthecru

Here is a note from the user manual that might help:

X.M.P DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only

If your modules are either of these, that might explain the problem.

Also, I noticed in the owners manual for this board, there is a memory remap. Make sure memory remap is enabled in your BIOS. This information can be found on page 3-24 of the manual downloaded from ASUS support.

9. doctorzeus

Sorry for the late reply :eek: and thanks for the reply/s

To clarify I have 2 systems and I am refering to the one at the bottom of my specs:

My ram is 240pin 1333Mhz, here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1291754287&sr=1-1

I also did a memory diagnostic and found no problems so for it to be hardware failure seems very remote..

Will check the memory re-mapping and get back to you guys..thanks :) although I've been told it should be enabled by default..

Anyone else have any suggestions now that you know my ram type and operating system?

Thanks

Doctorzeus

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/984824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice