1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

only half ram, it's not the dimm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by angelgrimm, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angelgrimm

angelgrimm Thread Starter

Hi, i have 2 emachines l3005 (1 with xp and 1 with ubuntu:D), and the latter just crashed. i sent it the service center and they repalaced the mother board, but now it only recognizes half the ram (128 of a 256 mb dimm), so the OS feels too sluggish. I exchanged the modules between the two pcs, thinking maybe one was damaged, but it runs fine on the xp pc. I was thinking maybe the bios was different (since it's kinda old, maybe it was on storage and had and older version of the bios?)
    The mobos on both pcs are the same (k8mc51g by First Intl. Computer Inc.-
    Supports Sempron Athlon 64 processors (Socket 754) / FSB Up to 1GHz , RAM2 184-pin DDR DIMMs / Support DDR 333/400 SDRAM / Supports a maximum memory size 2GB, System Bios ACPI, APM, DMI, SMBIOS, PnP, USB, PC99, PC2001, Y2K Compliant
    , -http://www.fic.com.tw/product/motherboard/AMD/K8MC51G.aspx-) and so are the dimms (i exchanged them and still, one recognizes 256mb, the other- with the fresh mobo- only 128).
    It can't be from the OS (i think:)) because on the loading screen (before loading form the hdd, where it checks ram and stuff) it ony recognizes 128.
    ANy thoughts?

2. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

It's possible you got a defective mobo from the shop. If it doesn't see any DIMM in the second slot, but the DIMM works in the other machine, take it back for a replacement. I'm surprised they didn't test it properly.

3. angelgrimm

angelgrimm Thread Starter

My bad, I wasn't explicit enough.
    It's only 1 x 256mb dimm. This dimm is recognized at 256 on 1 pc, and the other one (with the "new" mobo) only acknowledges 128mb. I exchanged the dimm, and the same happens.
    I even tried changing slots, but no luck.
    So I'm guessing it could be the BIOS, but I'm not sure.
    And I wouldn't be surprised if the service center didn't test it properly. At least in Mexico, emachines/gateway turned out to be a piece of crap, both the pcs and the service.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice