1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only one computer getting a connection through router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by BigTex, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hello all, I'm having trouble getting both computers connected to the internet. It's a D-Link Switch, both computers have XP Pro and they are wired connection. I can get only one computer connected, it's either Computer A or Computer B but never Both A and B at the same time.

TIA,

T

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The most common reason for this is the broadband modem is connected to one of the LAN/Network ports, and not the WAN/Internet port. Try fixing that first, power down all the units and start them again.

3. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hello JW, thanks for the response. The ports are only labeled 1-5 nothing about LAN/Network or WAN/Internet ports.

It's a D-Link 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch.

4. JohnWill

Oh, you don't have a router, you have a simple switch! :D You need a broadband router, that's the problem. The symptoms would be the same with the connection I described. :)

5. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

A switch isn't the same as a router. A switch won't provide the DHCP service a router will. Can you post the exact model of your D-Link so we'll know what device you're using? Most routers used for sharing broadband Internet connections have switches built-in, making them a router with a switch, but you can also find switches that don't have routers.

Once we know what device you're actually using, we can go from there. :)

Peace...

6. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

:sackonhead:

:eek:

7. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Model No: DSS-5+

8. JohnWill

Like I said, he needs a broadband router. ;)

9. tomdkat

Yep, you're right and now he knows the difference between a router and a switch. :)

BigText, the FAQ for your switch covers this topic and states what's already been stated above. Broadband routers are pretty inexpensive these days so you should be able to replace your switch with a router without spending much money.

When you do get the router, make *sure* you look for the WAN or Internet port on it, as JohnWill mentioned above.

Good luck!

Peace...

10. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Yes, I've found my Netgear WGR614 v6. I will hook it up and see what happens.

11. tomdkat

Great! It should work well for you. :)

Good luck!

Peace...

12. ezymony

ezymony

If you have a broadband connection the switch will work I have used 2 of them for my grandkids computers.

13. BigTex

BigTex Thread Starter

Hello ezymony, I called D-Link tech support they said it won't work. It'll work for networking only not sharing an internet connection.

I plugged in the Netgear and both are up and running. So I'm happy and so is Mrs. Tex.:D

14. JohnWill

Wrong! ;) Most ISP accounts only give you a single public IP address, any additional DHCP requests will be denied.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice