1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only one IP can connect using remote desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DirtRider41, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DirtRider41

DirtRider41 Thread Starter

We have a dlink di-524 wireless router connected to our surfboard sb4100 cable modem. This router has two different methods of accesses, four electrical ethernet ports and one wireless port. The problem only occurs when trying to access PC at the office using Window’s remote desktop. While this problem is occurring the laptop and desktop will still have access to the Internet. There’s clearly something up with the router and here’s how I’ve been getting around it.

Power down dlink, make certain only PC#1 is powered up and connected to dlink. Power up the router, wait for the PC#1 to acquire IP address then launch browser and it navigates to google, next launch SonciWall VPN and it connects, open a remote desktop connection to office PC successfully. If all this works then I’ll make a record of the IP address. Then on PC#1 change LAN properties by un-checking DHCP, add IP data from >cmd ipconfig /all as static, recheck browser, reconnect VPN, reconnect RDC. Finally I’ll make similar static change to PC#2. As long as only one PC is powered or connected this crazy method works fine until the router looses power for whatever reason. Had our share of IP conflicts but this static process allows the RDC to work from multiple PC behind the same router.

What’s a bit strange to me is my spouse uses the same router without experiencing this problem. He’s able to access multiple remote desktop computers from his office using wired or wireless. He’s had four Remote sessions up at once without a conflict. His laptop is an HP, running windows XP, different VPN vendor. But then again his laptop is the only IP addressing the same RDC connections each day.

I guess the only real quirk is why PC#1 and PC#2 has www access and connected though the VPB but not able to connect to a remote PC if the original IP address assigned by the router had previously successfully connected to remote PC is (expired then leased to Itouch) assigned to different router port. Makes me think there is a bug within the router which is prevents port 3389’s thread from being mapped to a different IP.

Any thoughts if the Dlink is causing this problem. I’ve took it out the book several years ago never did anything other assign it a name. Since this I’ve used a push pin a few times while trying to figure this RDC issue. Thank you for reviewing this issue.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Assign static IPs outside the Dhcp server's address range. Saves all those dup. IP messages.

I didn't understand whether you are accessing remote computers from your LAN, or are accessing computers on the D-Link's LAN from a remote location.

3. DirtRider41

Thanks for the reply. We are at home using a wireless d-link that is connected to the broadband cable modem to access www, an online folder (https), and remote desktop connection. The computers we’re trying to access is at the main office. My spouse works from home and most of the time she splits her computer usage between a desktop (ethernet) and a notepad (wireless, also have Usb2Ethernet adaptor). For day 1 she uses notepad and is successfully accessing everything in the head office, then on day 2 she decides to use PC but can’t access RDC. At any one time I learned by using static IP that on one IP can access the main office RDC. Let’s say this is .001 and it’s leased to notepad. If I then manual assign .001 to PC and power down notepad the PC can now access the main office computer using remote desktop. Now it’s Day3 and she wants to go back to using notepad, this isn’t problem as long as PC is powered off. Until the router is reset or we loose power this is how we’ve been working. It’s my gut felling this router, maybe cable modem, can not redirect the UDP port for RDC from one port to another even though the PC and notepad have different IPaddress and MAC addresses.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Hardware revision A of that router seems to be a normal lower cost router, and I would first suspect some other issue; maybe the remote connection was not properly disconnected before a different computer was used.

Hardware revision C of that router seems to be a disaster that should never have been sold. After all the other problems people have had with it I will believe anything bad you say about it. :)

5. DirtRider41

Alright I've updated to Linksys E3000 Router. Went through the basic install. All internet capable devices can access the www. Still have the same problem where only one IP address is allowed to access the PC in the office using Remote Desktop. It is at all possible to blame at the cable modem? If it's as you suspect, the previous RDC connection wasn't cleared properly, shouldn't I be able to see this using a debug. Basically we are back to the configuration with notepad and PC#1 using the same static IP address but only one is power up at time. Isn't an important clue other UDP ports (http, https, POP, and SMTP) work when all IADs configured as DHCP but only the original (pc#1 or notepad or pc#2) IP address which had successfully connected to main office PC using RDC since the router reset is allowed to connect. Why in the world wound Windows Remote Desktop have this problem. Maybe I should have purchased a different manufacture's router.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea why Remote Desktop would be having such problems, and have no way of testing under the same circumstances.

Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with the VPN. Have you tried just Remote Desktop w/o the VPN?

7. DirtRider41

Found another person having the same problem. From what I've learned there isn't no solution. It is as it is. I'm not the office LAN administrator but I've convinced him to change the listen port on the office computer to 9000 instead of 3389 would my home router still have the same problem. Also, why couldn't I shorten the IP's lease time? How does this IP leasing actually work. If the ethernet port is not receiving power, uplug, when does the actual time start ticking away. I'm assuming the clock starts right after the IP is assigned and continues up to moment it expires regardless of the post state? I was thinking if I deceased the lease to 5 minutes then this might clear the router's limitation with port 3389. This way I can go back to using DHCP.

http://forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic2562.html

"The problem is, routers will only allow 1 connection per port when using a feature like remote desktop. You would not be able to forward port 3389 to multiple computers in the network, which is why only the first listed port forwarding was working."

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    But earlier you said you were trying to access a computer at the office from various computers on your LAN. The above only has any meaning for your router if you are trying to access multiple computers on your LAN from outside.

9. DirtRider41

TerryNet,

From the tread at http://forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic2562.html, deboasu's problem description matches my trouble. I'm sorry if I didn't explain myself clearly. Do you feel there's a chance for any work around. I can't bypass the VPN to eliminate if it's causing the problem. How about changing the office PC to a different port for RemoteDesktop, would solve this problem in the router?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice