1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only one of two SATA drives showing in 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lynnstuff, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lynnstuff

Lynnstuff Thread Starter

Just installed new motherboard, two hard drives (SATA). After installing Windows 7 I can only see one of the hard drive. I think they both show up on the startup stuff. What's happening? Gigabyte Motherboard, Award bios. I have two old hard drives (IDE) that I can see. One IDE header. 5 SATA headers.

2. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

It depends what you did when you installed Windows 7,
    by the sound of it you either merged both into one virtual drive, or if not you need to goto Control Pannel->System and Security->Administrative Tools->Computer Management and click on "Disk management" under "Storage" you should see the drive there unformated, you need to format it and give it a drive label and stuff (hopefully it's self explanitory) once thats done it should appear.

Hope this Helps!

Doctorzeus

3. Lynnstuff

Lynnstuff Thread Starter

I have now found the drive listed as Disk 1. I can't label it. Not sure how! It is not apperent. The Disk has data on it that I don't want to lose.

4. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Ok, try right clicking on it and click "change Drive letter and paths" the click "add" and give it a letter, if that doesn't work your gonna have to format it. If you want the data thats on it you will need a data recovery program like "getdataback". Tell me does it say what format it is (it should say to the right of the drive size)?

5. Lynnstuff

Lynnstuff Thread Starter

When I right click on the disk I don't have the option to change the drive letter or path. It had the OS (Windows 7) and was running fine until I destroyed the MBR.

It is listed as below:
    Disk 1
    Basic
    931.51 GB Unallocated

6. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Like I said the easyiest way to do it would be to get a data recovery program to get the stuff for you such as getdataback, copy this stuff onto your primary HDD and then format the problematic HDD to NTFS...Alternativly you could buy/use/borrow a external drive with A usb adapter and plug it into that and see if that works but I can't guarantee anything..

Getdataback is the best one but I think you have to pay for it (there may be a free one):

http://www.runtime.org/

Doctorzeus

7. Lynnstuff

Lynnstuff Thread Starter

Thank you Doctorzeus. What good will the getdataback software be if I can't get to the drive. I can see the drive when I use the USB connection, but I can't open the drive. The properties show that the drive and the connection are working fine, but I can't open it.

8. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Thats what I thought might happen with the USB I'm afraid,

Ok basically(I'm not entirely sure on this one but it's the principle that applies) on a Hard Drive data is stored in random places as 1s ans 0s...Theres a part of the hardrive that basically keeps a log of what pieces of data should be stored(partion table) as 1s and 0s...what has happened is the layer that registers where the data is is corrupt or incopadible hence why it needs to be formated and you can see but can't open the drive. This is why when you delete something it is not truly deleted because you have only erased where the data is and not the 1s and 0s themeselves..These 1s and 0s however are then designated as free space and are overitten later by other 1s and 0s..

The data recovery program basically re-builds this and you can then lift the data off and put it on your normal hard drive and then format the problematic one and then move it back and unless you damaged the hardware it should all work fine...

If you want a free one just google "free data recovery software" and find one that looks good (you probubly have NTFS file system so look for one thats for NTFS). Perhaps someone can suggest a good one but I just use GetDataBack...(you can prob use the free trial anyway).

Hope This Helps

Doctorzeus

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, your drive is listed as unallocated ie either no partition info or the partition is damaged. You have some options;
    1 Run software that can repair the partition table. I use this linux app for a number of disk tasks
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/Parted-Magic_program_50063.html

2 Run a windows based app like
    http://www.ptdd.com/

Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. If it is important to you, you make backups.
    This is WHY we stress backups so much. With an image backup of the drive, it takes all of 5min or so to restore the image. Done.

10. doctorzeus

doctorzeus

Knew someone would know a good free one :)

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970814

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice