1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only runs in safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sekaidus, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

I run on XP, and can only run in safe mode, or safe mode with networking. I restored my computer to the last known good config, but can't go any earlier because I deleted all but the most recent. In the last couple of days I've added norton av an anti keylogger, and zone alarm firewall.
    Before I started having issues I put on a fan. After installation I couldn't get windows to load. I've since disconnected the fan (though I can't see that being an issue), and uninstalled zone alarm, and the anti keylogger. I still can't get it loaded other than in safe mode. What do you guys think.
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Lance1

Lance1

What does it do when you try to access standard Windows? In safe mode click Start \ Run and type msconfig and go to the startup tab and see what’s loading at startup. Post a screenshot if you can.

3. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

Good point. I also recently tried to change the startup apps, and couldn't get it to take. Things that I didn't want to run on start up would.

4. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

My bad I didn't wait for them to upload.
    Thanks
    Paul

5. Lance1

Lance1

Solved?

6. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

Doesn't look like those attached either, but these are the processes that run at startup.

NvCpl
    Qttask
    jusched
    KHost
    realsched
    DirectCD
    iTunesHelper
    winama
    dumprep O -u
    stmat
    ncqvngq
    dumprep O -k
    farmmextVet Tray
    ccApp
    NEWDOT-1
    MediaAccK
    TeaTimer
    I?gonui
    Ypageraim
    MyWebSearchEma...
    Microsoft Office
    GStartup
    TalkNow ReadMe
    Talk Now!
    PwerReg Schedul...
    Medic

7. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and when I try to run in windows it will go through the motions, but after the windows screen with the progress bar. right before it should go to the desktop the screen turns greenish, and then the monitor will go to standby, and if you turn off the monitor and turn it back on it gives the whole no response from your computer screen. so I powered down and switched the pc off then powered back up in safe mode and that'll work.

8. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

I disabled everything at startup, and it still wont boot to windows.

9. Lance1

Lance1

I may see what the problem is. Go to safe mode and navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and move DUMPREP.EXE to another location like My Documents and restart the computer.

10. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

Ugh. It didn't work.
    I'm interested in two things. First what the deal behind the dumprep excecute is.
    Then if I can run in safe mode, but can't run in standard startup is there any other reason than processes that start up in standard mode? If not are there other processes that run even if i disable all the processes that I can during startup?
    Appreciate your help so far
    Thanks
    Paul

11. Lance1

Lance1

Info found at WinTasks Process Library

dumprep.exe - Process Information
    Process File: dumprep or dumprep.exe
    Process Name: Dump Reporting Tool

Description:
    dumprep.exe forms a part of Microsoft Windows XP (and later versions), in-built fault logging software. Upon serious errors this program will write the details to a text file and request the information be sent to Microsoft. This program is a non-essential system process, and is installed for third party use.

As for the other, there are services that start at startup. Services are a touchy area, but in this attachment you’ll find some .reg file that’ll disable the services to a number of different degrees. From Minimum to Extreme! There is a safeguard .reg that’ll bring you back to default services and also a read me that will describe what each one does.

Attached Files:

12. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

I didn't get a readme in that zip, but I loaded all the registries one by one, and restarted after each one. Since I Didn't know I went in this order safe, game, allsvc, dflt, and super. after the default registry I lost the ability to network on my computer.
    I did find while looking at my devices that Plug & Play bios ext had a status error. Windows cannot initialize the device driver (code 37). When I try to trouble shoot this it says that windows cannot open help and service becuase a service is not running.
    I'm gonna go ahead and look into that for now.

13. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

Plug and Play Bios Extension. No Driver updates, but I can't network. can't roll back the driver, and it doesn't make a difference wether it's enabled or disabled.
    I've gotta believe this is the problem. I'd like to find out how to undo some of those registry changes you sent me, but I didn't get a read me with them, and help and support has been disabled I'm guessing by some of those changes. So I cant even do a system restore now.

14. Lance1

Lance1

If thing have gone down the tubs that far I would suggest doing a system repair. Boot from your XP CD. You’ll want to select not the first option to do a repair but the second. This will reload Windows over itself and should repair the problem. Interesting, those service reg’s work fine for me. I’m sorry for what happened. Try the repair.

15. Sekaidus

Sekaidus Thread Starter

Yeah, no sweat. I've been looking for an xp boot disk, and I can't find it. I'll get one from somewhere, and I'm sure that it'll work .
    What's this p&P bios run, and what do you think woulda damaged it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice