1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only seeing 1 way

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lcarpenter, Dec 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lcarpenter

lcarpenter Thread Starter

Hi

I have set up a small network (1 laptop - Windows Me & 1 desktop Windows 98se), with an RJ45 cross-over cable, and ethernet cards.

Both machines appear to be set up identically - both full file sharing, both in same network group & both using NetBui.

The desktop can see & talk to the laptop, but not vise-versa.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Lee

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is the C: drive shared on the desktop?? You won't see the other PC until you actually shar a resource. Is the workgroup name the same on both also?

3. lcarpenter

Yes - both C drives (and also D drives) are shared (they have a hand underneath them in My Computer).

they also belong to the same group - "LC - home".

I presumed that this is working correctly, as you can see 1 way.

Lee

4. Rockn

Rockn

Take the dash out of the computer name and try it again.

Per Micro$oft:

"NOTE : The computer name must be unique for each computer on the network and should be no more than 15 characters in length. In small networks, the workgroup name should be the same for each computer so that all computers are visible in the same workgroup when browsing. You should not use spaces or the following characters in computer and workgroup names:

/ \ * , . " @

5. lcarpenter

Have just renamed the group to home (now that's original!!).

Still can view & open Laptop files, but when I go to the laptop, get the message 'Unable to browse network'.

Have rechecked file sharings - OK

Computer Name's are Laptop & PC - with each drive called C_Laptop (etc.etc.etc)

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee

6. Rockn

Rockn

7. jimphot

jimphot

Sounds like the same problem I'm having. See my post "Automatic laptop logon" posted today.

You will be able to see your network from your laptop if you click Start>Log off...

The desktop icons on the laptop will disappear and reappear. You may be asked for a password. I just click "OK" without entering a password. Then you will be able to access the network from the laptop. I looking for a way around the problem. Stay tuned! Maybe someone will help us.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice